• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgery during marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firefighterman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

I posted a generic question over on the criminal board, but thought it might also pertain to divorce issues.:

I recently discovered an ex wife forged my signature while we were married on false separation papers for her to obtain school grants from the State and Federal agencies. I was completely unaware she did this.

Is this a crime that will be pursued or am I just wasting time filing it to be thrown in the circular file? If you had to put a dollar amount, I would assume she got over $10,000 in aid stating she had no household income which was a lie.

firefighterman

With this report, how does this benefit you?
Darn good question. I brought this up at the station with a couple of the guys and one of them told me about a similar situation where an investigation was initiated and charges were filed against both people.

I have been told she has been running her mouth about beating the system etc. etc. I want no part of any culpability in this matter.

mistoffolees

Darn good question. I brought this up at the station with a couple of the guys and one of them told me about a similar situation where an investigation was initiated and charges were filed against both people.

I have been told she has been running her mouth about beating the system etc. etc. I want no part of any culpability in this matter.
In addition, you know about the fraud and didn't do anything about it. That could make YOU liable to help pay it back.

I think I'd have a chat with an attorney.

firefighterman

In addition, you know about the fraud and didn't do anything about it. That could make YOU liable to help pay it back.

I think I'd have a chat with an attorney.
Quite true, but I literally just became aware of this within the last week. Your response is exactly what I am worried about.

What kind of penalties are involved? I am told this would be a felony so I am guessing this would be vigorously prosecuted.

mistoffolees

Quite true, but I literally just became aware of this within the last week. Your response is exactly what I am worried about.

What kind of penalties are involved? I am told this would be a felony so I am guessing this would be vigorously prosecuted.
There's a sizable amount of money involved, so I would guess that prosecution would be pretty serious. That's why I'd see an attorney NOW - before you find yourself in a defensive position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">