• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer Signed my Name to Documents..I didnt see!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DREAM4ME

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MICHIGAN

MY LAWYER "FORGOT" I HAD OUR FINAL DIVORCE HEARING. SHE CALLED ME THE NIGHT BEFORE PANICKED ABOUT HAVING ME SIGN ALL THE DOCUMENTS. I ASKED HER TO FAX THEM....SHE SENT A COUPLE OF FORMS OVER BUT I COULDNT MAKE THEM OUT. SHE SAID SHE COULD SIGN MY NAME BECAUSE I COULDNT GET OUT OF WORK THE NEXT DAY (NEW JOB) TO MAKE IT LAST MINUTE TO COURT. I HAD NO NOTICE I HAD TO BE IN COURT!!! THIS LAWYER SIGNED MY NAME TO THE FINAL DIVORCE PAPERS~~~BUT TO TOP IT OFF- QUITE A FEW OF THE ISSUES ARE INCORRECT- THINGS AGREED DIFFERENTLY IN MEDIATION!
THE MEDIATOR SAYS I HAVE TO TALK TO THE LAWYER...LAWYER READ MY EMAIL ABOUT IT AND CHARGED ME FOR READING MY EMAIL. DIDNT DO ANYTHING TO CONTACT ME!!!!
THIS SAME LAWYER CHARGED ME QUITE A FEW TIMES FOR MY EMAILS SHE READ AND DIDNT REPLY TOO!
IS THIS ETHICAL BEHAVIOR? SIGNING NAME TO LEGAL DOCUMENT AND CHARGING ME LARGE FEES FOR UNREPLIED TO CORRESPONDENCE?
I CANT ASK HER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DIVORCE AND I HAVENT GOTTEN MY SETTLEMENT TAKEN CARE OF!!!
I HAVE NO MORE MONEY TO SPEND ON A LAWYER WHO TAKES MY MONEY AND i DONT EVEN HAVE THE SETTLEMENT MONEY BECAUSE MY LAWYER WONT HELP ME TO GET IT!!! HELP? AND PLEASE DONT CHARGE ME FOR YOUR HELP!!!! :)

Last edited:

latigo

. .. and please don’t charge me for your help! :)
(Well, we only charge when “help” is offered. But that is so rare that we had to close the billing department.)

Since you can’t afford to pay another attorney to sort out this mess, and shouldn’t have to, I suggest that you present these very legitimate grievances to the committee on professional ethics at the offices of the Michigan State bar association. Here is the contact info:

State Bar of Michigan
Michael Franck Building
306 Townsend St.
Lansing, MI 48933-2012
Phone: (517) 346-6300
Toll Free: (800) 968-1442
Fax: (517) 482-6248

Good luck

P. S. When you write out your formal complaint to the professional ethics folks DO NOT do so in upper case as you have here. People are not taught to read text written in all capital letters. There is a proper place for them, but not everywhere.

Hot Topic

So, you're telling us that you didn't know about your final divorce hearing? That's a little hard to believe.

Sounds like you waited until the last moment to decide that your lawyer wasn't doing her job, then you panicked.

Do as recommended about the State Bar. Be sure you have paperwork confirming that the lawyer didn't perform satisfactorily.

And don't post again in all capital letters. It suggests that you think your problem is more important than anyone else's. It isn't.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">