• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annnticipation!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Roadrunnerboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N.J.
My best friend passed away more than two months ago and his ex-wife told me the estate attorney said, that it will take anywhere from nine months to a year to execute this estate. She also said, he said this delay was because the estate was tied up in personal property, (house, car, etc.) and CD's. My friends ex-wife told me his daughter will receive some of this estate right away but everyone else has to wait for at least nine months to a year. Why is it going to take an entire year for the execution of this estate? Isn't this one of the points of having a Will drawn up? I was told by my friend that he made me one of the beneficiaries in his Will and that he was going to leave CD's as part of his estate. I still have not been notified by this attorney or any other attorney in this regard. What can I do find out more about this situation and if there is any merit to this delay. Thank you!

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N.J.
My best friend passed away more than two months ago and his estate attorney has told all beneficiaries that it will take anywhere from nine months to a year to executethis estate. The attorney said, this is because the estate was tied up in personal property,(house, car, etc.) and CD's. My friends ex-wife told me his daughter will receive some of this estate right away but everyone else has to wait for a least nine months to a year. Why is it going to take an entire year for the execution of this estate? Isn't this one of the points for having a Will drawn up? What can I do find out more about this situation and if there is any merit to this delay. Thank you!

Goodness gracious me I'm so terribly sorry for your loss and so sorry that you have to deal with waiting for your payoff for another 7 months!

That must be HORRIBLE!

You poor thing!

:( :( :(

nextwife

Creditors have rights to make claims against the estate, and they needn't do so in the time frame you'd prefer. The estate must pay all it's creditors first. If there is a minor child, many states even allow claims against the estate for future child support.

Is this daughter a MINOR child?

anteater

I suggest that you do an internet search with terms such as: new jersey probate

Many Jersey counties have websites that explain the probate process.

In Jersey, the executor is supposed to send a notice of probate to heirs and beneficiaries 60 days after the will is submitted for probate and the executor appointed.

In Jersey, creditors have 6 months to file a claim with the executor.

Roadrunnerboy

More Annnticipation!

:DYes, thank you all for the input. I hope I don't have this problem with my other estate inheritance. Right now it is estimated to be in assets of over $600,000. Better see a Wig. This morning I called the bank and was told my friends CD's have been secured and that as soon as they have finalized everthing with state and county offices I will receive all appropriated funds. Thank you very much!!!

anteater

:DYes, thank you all for the input. I hope I don't have this problem with my other estate inheritance. Right now it is estimated to be in assets of over $600,000. Better see a Wig. This morning I called the bank and was told my friends CD's have been secured and that as soon as they have finalized everthing with state and county offices I will receive all appropriated funds. Thank you very much!!!
Someone at the bank has been appointed as the executor? :confused:

And what the heck is a "Wig?"

latigo

You say that it has been more than two months?! And your position of wealth has remained static for all of that time!

Well then, no wonder for the impatience. One must never protract the grieving period to where it diverts one’s attention from practical concerns. A certain degree of detachment usually proves prudent.

And how sad indeed were your “annnticipation” to produce no frrruit.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">