• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital property - company car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbs1952

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Spouse, as an employee of his Dad's business, has used a company car through last 3 years of a six year marriage. The business and spouses income have been hit hard but still retains use of the car though title in company's name. Use has always been for mainly pleasure occassional business. With pending divorce can this car be considered a in any way as marital property?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

Who owns the car?

If the car is owned by the company, it's not marital property. However, the value of driving a company car could be counted as income in terms of calculating support.

nextwife

Of course, if the company folded tomorrow, that car could be gone. My hubby had a company car for a bit, and when the company he worked for then failed, the car was gone pronto.

mistoffolees

Of course, if the company folded tomorrow, that car could be gone. My hubby had a company car for a bit, and when the company he worked for then failed, the car was gone pronto.
Or if the company simply changes their policies and no longer offers it.

nextwife

Or if the company simply changes their policies and no longer offers it.
Which could very well happen in tough times. The company I worked for simply provided an auto allowance, and we used our own cars. They stopped company cars. And the auto allowance came nowhere near covering all the costs of using up the car for business. All the wear and tear, extra miles, business use insurance and required extra coverage and so on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">