• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Due Dilligence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kara_8869

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Does due dilligence apply in a divorce and what would be the steps neccissary to accomplish this? I want to remarry, but have absolutely no idea where he is. He took off 5 yrs ago and I haven't heard from him. My house had a fire and any ph #s for his family are long gone. What can I do?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Does due dilligence apply in a divorce and what would be the steps neccissary to accomplish this? I want to remarry, but have absolutely no idea where he is. He took off 5 yrs ago and I haven't heard from him. My house had a fire and any ph #s for his family are long gone. What can I do?
You do have to make a reasonable effort to find him, however, if you cannot then the option exists for service by publication. However, that kind of divorce really requires an attorney, because things have to be done in a very precise manner.

CourtClerk

Yes, due diligence applies in a divorce case, and no, I don't think you need an attorney to do a divorce in this manner. The ONLY difference between what you are doing and a traditional divorce is service... and service is different even IF you knew where he was. The self help center can assist you attempting to serve your ex, what you need to do and how you need to do it. Everything else is rather standard... this is CA.

However, what have you done to attempt to find the families phone numbers and locations? That's actually pretty easy. Where was he last?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">