• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed to yield to emergency vehicle and display tag

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gar_rad

Hello,

I am a new driver and I bought a car 1 month back and got it registered in Kansas.

The license plate was little loose and on 21st of October when I was getting back from work, I removed license plate and put it in trunk so that it does not get lost. I also wrote "Tag applied for" in a paper and stuck it behind, so that people know that I have a tag. I thought I would go home and use a screw driver to tighten it. I am a new driver and have been driving only for past one month. Apparently when I was getting back home (on I-35), I saw a Kansas state trooper car with red-blue lights behind my car. I was not sure if he was trying to pull me over or some other car as I was well under the speed limit and on rightmost lane. At one point when I heard the siren, I pulled over to the shoulder. I pulled over late. I have had very clean driving records till now and now cop gave me 2 tickets
1. Failed to display tag - 8-133( and it says misdemeanor)
2. Failed to yield to emergency vehicle - 8-1530( infraction)

I was just too unfortunate that the cop who pulled me over was extremely rude too. Since I am a new driver and have owned the car for only a month, I was thinking if taking some defensive driving course would get this traffic ticket dismissed.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was just too unfortunate that the cop who pulled me over was extremely rude too.
You mean AFTER the officer was forced to follow you for quite some distance before you pulled over, right? It's not like he wasn't upset about that or anything, right? :rolleyes:

FlyingRon

Let me clue you in. If you see the lights going behind you, even if the cop doesn't want to pull you over, you have to pull right and STOP anyway. If he doesn't want you, he'll shoot by and you can go on your way. If he pulls in behind you then you know he wants you.

The rest of your post is lame. The "TAG APPLIED FOR" does nothing other than indicate your specific intent to violate the law for which you were cited.

racer72

The license plate was little loose and on 21st of October when I was getting back from work, I removed license plate and put it in trunk so that it does not get lost.
I'm calling BS, this was strictly a flagrant method of hiding the fact you were driving with an expired vehicle license. Plus you just happened to have the tools to remove the plate but not tighten the screws.

Zigner

I'm calling BS, this was strictly a flagrant method of hiding the fact you were driving with an expired vehicle license. Plus you just happened to have the tools to remove the plate but not tighten the screws.
You're seldom wrong, but you're right this time! ;)

gar_rad

Of course not. I just got my license plate a month back and I had it in my car trunk. The cop who pulled me over took it from my trunk and verified ALL my documents and did not find any flaw. Infact, the cop had a screw driver with him and fixed my license plate.

That is why the ticket said "Failed to DISPLAY tag".

And I did not use a tool to remove, as I said it was loose that it could fall down. In such a condition, I could remove it with my hand.

Zigner

Of course not. I just got my license plate a month back and I had it in my car trunk. The cop who pulled me over took it from my trunk and verified ALL my documents and did not find any flaw. Infact, the cop had a screw driver with him and fixed my license plate.
And yet you STILL feel the need to come on here and say he was rude :rolleyes::rolleyes:

justalayman

=gar_rad;2678060]Of course not. I just got my license plate a month back and I had it in my car trunk. The cop who pulled me over took it from my trunk and verified ALL my documents and did not find any flaw. Infact, the cop had a screw driver with him and fixed my license plate.
He put your plate back on and yet you say this:

I was just too unfortunate that the cop who pulled me over was extremely rude too.
You are apparently a bit fickle.

That is why the ticket said "Failed to DISPLAY tag".
so, it sounds like the ticket was righteous then. Fair enough. Now go pay your fine.

and understand that anytime a cop is behind you with flashing lights and/or a siren, you need to pull over. It may be for you, it may be for the guy in front of you, or they may be on their way to save somebody's life. Regardless the reason, you need to pull over, to the RIGHT (very specific in many states laws)

gar_rad

Thank you all. He spoke offensive stuff too. Maybe I just got offended. I will be more careful in future. Thanks once again.

davidmcbeth3

if you pulled over once his siren was on & you did not tell the cop you saw his lights then the failure to pull over will likely be found not guilty

Kaden

I would say expect all officers that pull you over to be rude to an extent, but dont take it personal. you will run in to some nice ones, but no one ever likes to be pulled ove so it normally feels like a bad experience. It was kind of the officer to affix the tag for you so, he wasnt all bad.

if you are not able to display your tag because of a tool, put it in your back window or stop asap to a gas station or auto store to immediately properly affix it or you should expect a ticket. when explaining the situation truthfully to the judge, you might get a break.

As for not immediately stopping, in the futhure as another member said... Even if you dont think he is trying to pull you over, pull over. In any case if an emergency vechicle is behind you pull over to yield their right of way. And as an earlier post said... If you state that you pulled ove when you saw the sirens then there is a good chance it will get dropped.

Also, if you have any questions on how to handle things like the plates. police non emergency and DMV can be helpful to contact.

Good luck, I hope they get dropped.

Kaden

If you state that you pulled ove when you saw the sirens then there is a good chance it will get dropped.
Correction:
Its up to you but. If you saw the officers lights and you didnt pull over right away. As a point of integrity... it would be good to say exactly what happened. Something like "i understand now that if I see lights that i pull over immediately even if I dont think it was me, but as soon as I noticed the officer was pulling me over I pulled over." its not always garenteed but honestly can get you a long way and you are under oath when you make your statements.

Zigner

I would say expect all officers that pull you over to be rude to an extent...
Why is that?

I've been stopped 3 times in my life. I've also had many dealings with officers from other departments for other reasons. I've NEVER run in to an officer who was rude. Short? Sure. Abrupt? Sometimes. But never rude.

racer72

I was pulled over last Sunday and the officer was downright nice to me. Didn't even ask to see my license. But then, he stopped me for a burned out headlight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">