• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default eligible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liddleFish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

I served my soon to be ex-husband with my complaint via certified restricted delivery. He had 20 days(until 10-7-10) to respond with his answer. He mailed his response back to the courthouse and they received it on 10-7-10, but the clerk didn't accept it because his documents were not notarized and sent the back to him.

I filed for a default judgment on 10-8-10, because I believed he did not respond appropriately in the time given. I received a copy of his answer on the 18th, so I suppose the courts did too.

I went to the courthouse yesterday and the clerk told me that my default application was denied, because they did receive his answer.

Do I have any grounds to stand on to fight the denial on my default application? If so, does anyone know where I could start?

Thanks in advance! :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

I served my soon to be ex-husband with my complaint via certified restricted delivery. He had 20 days(until 10-7-10) to respond with his answer. He mailed his response back to the courthouse and they received it on 10-7-10, but the clerk didn't accept it because his documents were not notarized and sent the back to him.

I filed for a default judgment on 10-8-10, because I believed he did not respond appropriately in the time given. I received a copy of his answer on the 18th, so I suppose the courts did too.

I went to the courthouse yesterday and the clerk told me that my default application was denied, because they did receive his answer.

Do I have any grounds to stand on to fight the denial on my default application? If so, does anyone know where I could start?

Thanks in advance! :)
Proceed with your divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">