• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary to one of a joint tenancy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zeebra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
I own a house with my ex-wife. It has been for sale for over 2 years according to our J & D. I am wondering if I can have a beneficiary to my half of the house, in the event that I should die before it is sold. How do I go about accomplishing that?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
I own a house with my ex-wife. It has been for sale for over 2 years according to our J & D. I am wondering if I can have a beneficiary to my half of the house, in the event that I should die before it is sold. How do I go about accomplishing that?
By drawing up a will leaving your half of the house to your designated heir.

However, that is assuming that the house is no longer titled as joint tenancy with rights of survivorship, or that your state law effectively changes that after a divorce, if it is.

justalayman

I do not believe a divorce automatically alters a joint tenancy to a tenancy in common. Unless it does, you would have to dissolve the joint tenancy and create a tenancy in common. As long as there is a joint tenancy, the surviving tenant assumes ownership of the deceased tenant's interest. There is nothing a will can do to change that.

While there are means to do just that, I suspect due to the divorce and the fact it is held as joint tenants at the time of the divorce, the ex may be able to successfully contest that change. You are effectively removing an interest she has in the property outside of the divorce.

LdiJ

I do not believe a divorce automatically alters a joint tenancy to a tenancy in common. Unless it does, you would have to dissolve the joint tenancy and create a tenancy in common. As long as there is a joint tenancy, the surviving tenant assumes ownership of the deceased tenant's interest. There is nothing a will can do to change that.

While there are means to do just that, I suspect due to the divorce and the fact it is held as joint tenants at the time of the divorce, the ex may be able to successfully contest that change. You are effectively removing an interest she has in the property outside of the divorce.
I know that there are at least some states that have written laws stating that in the case of a divorce, a joint tenancy with rights of survivorship automatically becomes a tenancy in common. There was a big discussion about that on these forums a few years ago, and alot of case law/statutes posted.

However, he should consult a local attorney to be certain exactly what is or isn't possible.

FlyingRon

Either of the joint tenants can convert to common tenancy at any time (without the consent of the other tenant). You do however have to do this. If the property is still in joint tenancy at the time of your death, without regard to what it says in your will, it will go to the joint tenant.

justalayman

LdiJ wrote

I know that there are at least some states that have written laws stating that in the case of a divorce, a joint tenancy with rights of survivorship automatically becomes a tenancy in common. There was a big discussion about that on these forums a few years ago, and alot of case law/statutes posted.

However, he should consult a local attorney to be certain exactly what is or isn't possible.
an attorney is always a good idea when it comes to real estate.

To the changing of tenancy; I can believe it is out there but I know several reasons why it shouldn't be out there.

and it appears MN may be one of those state. Taken from a North Dakota case:

And so we hold, as the Minnesota court did in Snyder v. Snyder, supra, although we base our opinion on somewhat different reasons,

"... that in a divorce proceeding where there is a final disposition of jointly held property, such a decree effectuates a severance of the joint tenancy unless the decree specifically declares that the parties shall continue to hold the property as joint tenants instead of as tenants in common." 298 Minn. at 50, 212 N.W.2d at 874.
I didn't chase it any further but it appears the joint tenancy is dissolved upon the final disposition of the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">