• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage Alias fraud???????????????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marriagefraud

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida...And Maine...

My good friend fell victim to what amounts to be a con artist. About 6 years ago he met a gal from another country who convinced him to marry her within a month...(big mistake I know). She subsequently started clearing out his retirement accounts etc. Now that he is nearly financially ruined they are getting a divorce. It is a year in the making now and she wants 1/2 of everything that was his from prior to the marriage (boats, property, cars, etc.)

In researching the records for him I learned that the name she used to get married and to gain residency in the US is not her legal name. In fact she uses several variations of alias' and different names for different purposes. Does this impact the legality of the marriage in the first place if there was a nepharious intent behind the use of an alias. Of course then one has to prove the intent...So does the use of an alias invalidate the marriage in Florida?????????????What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

The short answer is "no".

The longer answer - and this is what your friend really need to worry about - concerns the I-864 Affidavit of Support. If he sponsored his wife, and filed one of these...have him sign up here and we'll try to help him further. He'll have bigger fish to try than her using a different name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">