• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I buy a house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vacren

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I've been separated from my wife since May, 2009. I haven't filed any paperwork yet, but have drawn up several copies, I'm giving her everything and taking all the debt but her student loans. We're attempting to do this pro se, uncontested.

I currently live on base and my "lease" will soon be up. I'm attempting to secure funding to buy a home and realized this morning that I may have an issue with this.

Is she in any way entitled to a house I buy while separated? Am I buying a house just to have to give it to her or sell it? Should I just wait?

Thanks,
V

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I've been separated from my wife since May, 2009. I haven't filed any paperwork yet, but have drawn up several copies, I'm giving her everything and taking all the debt but her student loans. We're attempting to do this pro se, uncontested.

I currently live on base and my "lease" will soon be up. I'm attempting to secure funding to buy a home and realized this morning that I may have an issue with this.

Is she in any way entitled to a house I buy while separated? Am I buying a house just to have to give it to her or sell it? Should I just wait?

Thanks,
V
If bought during the marriage then it is marital property if bought with marital income.

mistoffolees

Thanks,
V
I would wait. If you absolutely MUST have a certain house, see if you can get the buyer to agree to a lease-purchase.

Meanwhile, you should file for divorce so you can start to protect your future earnings and assets.

vacren

Thanks, both of you. Dropping off papers tonight.

It's not a specific house, just sick of throwing money away on rent and prices are so low right now...

V

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">