• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adragonflys

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

If you receive marijuana in the mail that gets caught by the postal inspectors, what is the penalty? It is less than 5 ozs. They confiscated it and said that they would not write it up as a federal crime and that i'd receive a summons for court in the mail. Is that the way it works?

cyjeff

You committed a federal offense and involved the mail.

This is a huge deal and you need an attorney.

You may be the only person in the country that doesn't know that mailing yourself pot is a really stupid idea.

adragonflys

You committed a federal offense and involved the mail.

This is a huge deal and you need an attorney.

You may be the only person in the country that doesn't know that mailing yourself pot is a really stupid idea.
Actually, I didnt mail myself anything and had no idea it was even being mailed to me. They simply showed up at my door.

guitarist757

Hmm. . .you had better try to find some loophole out of this, and get a good attorney. I don't know why the other guy is bashing you so hard, he's new just like me, so he's not a very good source. I know my advice isn't good, but it's common sense, you know?

FlyingRon

If you know the package contains marijuana, you will be guilty of both federal and state crimes.

If you do this over in Maryland as opposed to Virginia, whether you know he package contains drugs or not, the police will storm your house, hold you and your elderly mother at gun point and shoot your dogs.

xylene

If the postal inspector's office, in a letter stated you will not be charged federally, your odds of federal charges are low.

Their may be issues with either PC or burden of proof on your case so that they have decided not to throw resources at a trivial pot case.

This happens all the time, it is called discretion.

If the feds won't charge, it is a sure thing that there is something to the case that makes it weak, which your lawyer should use in state court.

This is 5 ounces, not 5 grams, so it is not much weight but don't pretend it is not a saleable amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">