• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsafe lane change and failure to use signal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dangerkittie00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My family was en route to San Diego from Los angeles via 210/57/91/71/15. My husband was driving our new car, which he is not completely used to yet. We were in moderately heavy traffic, with lots of big rigs. we were stuck behind one, going about 40, right before the 57 interchange. when the interchange lane opened up, my husband signaled, looked and proceeded to move over. there was a cop right there, getting on the freeway (the onramp goes straight into the interchange lane). he was at our bumper before my husband finished the change, so i have no idea how fast the cop was getting on the freeway. he let my husband move over, then pulled him over off the freeway. he asked my husband why he didnt signal (he did), and why he didnt look (he did, bigger blindspot than our old car). My husband isnt one to argue, so he didnt. he cited my husband with unsafe lane change and failure to signal. I think we should go to court and fight it. I would appreciate any information. I would also like to know how much a ticket like this is? Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

dangerkittie00

the citations are 21658(a) vc unsafe lane change and 22108 vc- failure to use turn signal. at least thats what it looks like... the cop has horrible writing. lol

CdwJava

the citations are 21658(a) vc unsafe lane change and 22108 vc- failure to use turn signal. at least thats what it looks like... the cop has horrible writing. lol
Here is what he has been charged with:

21658. Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more
clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, the following
rules apply:
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practical entirely
within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until such
movement can be made with reasonable safety.

(b) Official signs may be erected directing slow-moving traffic to
use a designated lane or allocating specified lanes to traffic
moving in the same direction, and drivers of vehicles shall obey the
directions of the traffic device.​
And,

22108. Any signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given
continuously during the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before
turning.​
Your husband can certainly take the matter to court either by written declaration or in person (along with the witnesses who were in the car).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">