• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was my rights violated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crtdave

While at poker room at Pensacola Dog Track, I was asked to remove or LEAVE, under threat of arrest, My CAP. Hat read:I love vagina. Was told it was offensive. I had worn said hat at same poker room other times without complaint. I pointed out that VAGINA IS NOT A BAD WORD. While police were watching, I left quietly, but I feel like I was in my right to wear that hat, and that my constitutional right was violated. What should I have done?

Trickster

A private citizen cannot violate your rights. Only those acting under a color of law (government)

The poker room belongs to someone else and in actuality they could have asked you to leave merely because they wanted to. I like vagina too and it isn't a "bad" word but I wouldn't wear a T-shirt that said I LUV VAGINA on it to church. Church, poker room, a person's home, it matters not.

cyjeff

While at poker room at Pensacola Dog Track, I was asked to remove or LEAVE, under threat of arrest, My CAP. Hat read:I love vagina. Was told it was offensive. I had worn said hat at same poker room other times without complaint. I pointed out that VAGINA IS NOT A BAD WORD. While police were watching, I left quietly, but I feel like I was in my right to wear that hat, and that my constitutional right was violated. What should I have done?
See, this is the kind of post that gave me the reason to sign up here.

The only reason to wear such a hat is to offend people. You accomplished your objective.

The problem, as you see it, is that you feel that you should have the right to offend people in their own place of business without any repercussion to your action.

You would be incorrect. As stated above, the freedom of speech given to you under the first amendment does not restrict private citizens from holding you responsible for your speech.

I recommend you only wear that hat in places where people consider it funny. You may now scratch this place off that list.

Oh, and what kind of a jerk would actually wear that in public? Are you TRYING to give women a reason to hate, avoid and despise you?

You must be a very lonely person.

You Are Guilty

I strongly suspect the women that frequent the Pensacola Dog Track have seen worse than the OP's hat.

But +1 on an excellent question. Makes me feel better about wasting my time trying to decipher all the other nonsense.

BOR

While police were watching, I left quietly, but I feel like I was in my right to wear that hat, and that my constitutional right was violated. What should I have done?
What Amendment do you believe was violated?

I assume the 1st's freedom of speech/expressive conduct?

NO!!

A private entity can violate constitutional rights, although rare, but here you need to address what are known as "Public Accomodation" laws.

You admittedly state why you were asked to leave.

IF the officer acting alone told you to leave, it *may* change things, as even though he may have been private security, he may still have been acting under color of law, jurisdiction specific.

The agent of the business asked you to leave though.

Hot Topic

Cyjeff, the sentence beginning with, "The problem...," is so perfect in "cutting to the chase" about the problem that nothing else really needs to be said. It's one of those rare sentences where it's so good, it's logic in expression at its best.

Last edited:

cyjeff

Cyjeff, the sentence beginning with, "The problem...," is so perfect in "cutting to the chase" about the problem that nothing else really needs to be said. It's one of those rare sentences where it's so good, it's logic in expression at its best.
Aww shucks.... just a lil ol' country boy doing his job...

But thanks for the kind words.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
The problem, as you see it, is that you feel that you should have the right to offend people in their own place of business without any repercussion to your action.

I like this response so much I wanted to give it some time to shine on its own.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">