• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question About Magnetic Vehicle Signs in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ghtix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have a friend who has asked me if I would put a set of his magnetic signs on my vehicle to help advertise his business while I just routinely drive around.

My vehicle is not registered as a commercial vehicle, and I have nothing to do with his business.

Is there any Florida statute that determines whether or not I can place a set of magnetic signs on my vehicle if it is not registered as a commercial vehicle, or if I am not associated with the business being advertised on the magnetic signs?

If so, could anyone point me to the statute?

Any other information would be helpful & appreciated.

I would like help this person if possible.

Thanks for any information.

The Occultist

I am not truly knowledgeable in this line of law, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt.

I do not believe you need any special sort of license to provide advertising such as what you described (after all, you are not actually driving while "on the clock" for this business). The only thing that might come into play here is if, while operating a vehicle advertising such a brand, the business might be able to take civil action against you should you do anything to hurt the brand (such as getting in an accident or a DUI or some such).

what about these people who delivery pizza for a company (domino's,pizza hut,etc) they have that sign on top of their personal car that lights up, do they need a commercial tag?

CraigFL

I can tell you that my friend who owns a pizza delivery place has to keep a liability policy above and beyond what his drivers have as personal insurance.

I would suspect you would be a target especially if you were getting any kind of compensation for displaying the sign.

The Occultist

what about these people who delivery pizza for a company (domino's,pizza hut,etc) they have that sign on top of their personal car that lights up, do they need a commercial tag?
No, pizza delivery folk do not need any special license. Even as far as vehicle insurance is concerned, they do not need commercial insurance, only business insurance. But, again, that sign might mean that they represent the brand, and as such, be held to a certain quality of driving (by the store, not the law, which would make it civil).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">