• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce law in India

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rparihar

Hi,
I got married in India 8 year back,Come to US .I got divorced in 2006 in US, no Kids . I am US citizen now,recently got Overseas indian citizenship. I got married in India,I haven't filed divorced in India. As per Indian law, I am still legally married to my Ex husband , since i haven't taken divorce in India. Indian law does not recognize divorce happen outside India.
Can you kindly suggest me smooth and fastest way to nullify my marriage in India, so that i don't face any legal issue in future.

(Thanks everyone for your reply )

Thanks
Pari

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Hi,
I got married in India 8 year back, Got divorced in 2006, no Kids . I am US citizen now,recently got OCI. I got married in India,I haven't got divorced in India. Can you kindly suggest me smooth and fastest way to nullify my marriage in India, so that i don't face any legal issue in future.

Thanks
Pari
As cbg says, this is for U.S. law only.

However, if you're a U.S. citizen and have established legal residency, you can probably get a divorce in the US. Contact a U.S. divorce attorney.

LdiJ

Hi,
I got married in India 8 year back, Got divorced in 2006, no Kids . I am US citizen now,recently got OCI. I got married in India,I haven't got divorced in India. Can you kindly suggest me smooth and fastest way to nullify my marriage in India, so that i don't face any legal issue in future.

Thanks
Pari
Are you talking about 1 marriage, or 2 marriages? If its only one, and you have a divorce, then why do you think that you need another one?

mistoffolees

OP is already divorced.
But she said "I haven't got divorced in India. "? :rolleyes:

Hmmm. I see where she says she got divorced and then says she didn't get divorced.

Maybe she should start all over, explain the situation, and tell us what she's trying to do....

LdiJ

But she said "I haven't got divorced in India. "? :rolleyes:

Hmmm. I see where she says she got divorced and then says she didn't get divorced.

Maybe she should start all over, explain the situation, and tell us what she's trying to do....
She (or he) may have gotten the original divorce in the US, and thinks that its not valid in India. Its possible that it isn't. The US recognizes legal divorces done in any other country, but not ever country recognizes divorces done elsewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">