• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This is way wrong. What can be done?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maeflye63

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan (Upper MI)

This is for a friend that comes into our St. Vincent DePaul Store in Ontonagon, MI She wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper, I was shocked when I read this...

Letter to the Editor:
To whom it may concern, my son was killed in Ontonagon and on one has been convicted of this crime. I requested under the Freedom of Information Act any and all information regarding my son's investigation and was called by the Ontonagon County Prosecutor's to come up and get the information that they had, when I found out they didn't even have a police report.
A new detective with Michigan State Police had taken over the case as the investigating detective retired and when I asked what was being done regarding my son's case he told me Mr. Jessup had closed the case. My question is how do you close a case when you don't even have a police report?
Mr. Jessup spends more time with the closure of Smurfit-Stone then he does doing the job he was hired for and now he wants to be a judge!
I'm very bitter in the way this investigation was handled and I truly feel that if this had happened anywhere else there would have been a different outcome.

Now I am hoping you can tell me what she can do. She can't afford a lawyer because she is on Disability since she lost her arm in Hurricane Katrina.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me to pass on.

Last edited:

latigo

Did this person authorize you to bandy her name and city of residency on the World Wide Web? Because whether she consented or not it was abject idiocy!

I suggest that you immediately edit the post and remove the personal information. It serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

maeflye63

did not mean to be an IDIOT.:confused: But I guess I am, that is why I am here. I took the name out, sorry I only copied the letter she wrote.

Hot Topic

You're circulating a letter with no thought as to the possible consequences. We don't know all the facts, and I suspect that you don't either. Your friend could get herself sued for some of the content.

Mind your own business!

maeflye63

I can't believe how rude you are Hot Topic. :( I was only looking to help a friend who does have all the facts that were givin to her. NO POLICE REPORT TO BE FOUND on a Shooting! NO Investigation. Case Closed! NOTHING was done. How can that sound right to anyone? And it IS my buisness if Justice isn't being done. And the paper is public if you want to read it yourself it is: The Ontonagon Herald it's on-line. But I guess this site was not the place to get help for anyone who does not have internet access or the money to afford a lawyer. To think I use to praise this place!

Hot Topic

And I can't believe how self-absorbed you are. Everyone should put aside their problems and take on your friend's because you say so.

I know someone like you. When a friend has a problem, she steps in and tries to take over until she has to be reminded that she has no legal standing. She becomes absolutely obsessed with the situation. Then one day, she stops obsessing about it, and you never hear about the friend again.

The woman could get internet access at a library, and she could call the local bar association to see if there are lawyers who work pro bono (free) or for a smaller than usual fee.

I don't know if Dr. Phil has a forum, but if he does and you want to launch a crusade, try that one.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">