• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I quit, they say I was fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rabidferret

First off, I'm in Ohio if that makes a difference.

Here's my problem -
I had 2 simultaneous jobs, one full time and one part time. The full time company went out of business and I filed for unemployment and received it.
Days later I arrived at the part time job for work and after punching in, my managers asked me to sit down to discuss some things. They told me about a couple of things I had been doing wrong, like how we're not allowed to have people in the store after closing, tuck my shirt in, etc, and how I should fix these issues. I offered to remedy them and we moved on. No real problem. Further in the discussion though, insinuations were made, repeatedly, that I knew of someone stealing from the company but refused to tell them.
This was just too childish for me and I decided that my time had come to move on; after all, it was only 5-10 hours a week. I told them that I was going to quit and they were fine with that and we parted company.
Fast foward to 3 months later now, and Unemployment sends me a letter stating that my benefits are denied and I have to repay everything they've given me because i was fired from the part time job. The reason for the firing was that I "had a non-employee in the store after hours", an issue we had addressed in that meeting and I was simply told not to do again.
So here are my questions:
1.) First off, are they on legal ground saying they fired me? I was under the impression I had quit! Don't I have to be notified somehow? Is there any kind of law that says I have to be directly and blatently told "You are fired"? Or can they just decide after the fact, "Oh, we fired that guy"?
2.) Can they change the reasons for the firing? If I appeal this ruling, can they then say "Oh no, he was fired because he didn't tuck in his shirt"?
3.) And third, not necessarily a legal question, is there anything I can do about unemployment? I filed under my full time job. I could care less about the part time one, but I seem to be getting penalized for having a second job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">