• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I do this??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hiswife4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in Ohio, I have been married 11 years, we are separated, nothing filed in the courts basically just living apart, he is in KY. He is doing some really stupid stuff drinking to excess daily and possibly using drugs, hes on a number of medications that he isnt supposed to be drinking at all. My question is this can I and his daughter have him committed or placed into some kind of treatment center? He has become a danger to himself and has had suiside attempts in the past (years ago but still) Thank you in advance.

hiswife4

Also

If he were to file for divorce can i fight it, stop it? I dont believe for a minute we would be apart if it werent for the above problems. If i cant fight it, hes been gone 5 months and i have moved out of the home we shared (his parents own it they told me to take everything except his personal property) I left his things , things hed acquired thru family, things Id gotten him but took the majority, he hasnt contacted me at all about anything IF we end up in divorce can he now ask for things he left? He was gone from the home for 2 months before i was told to move and came in and took stuff one day while i was gone.

Last edited:

hiswife4

as i said i dont believe for a minute if hed wasnt into the drinking etc that things would be like this. He has cut himself off from basically everyone not just me. And yes IF i can get him help and we can fix our problems I would like to save my marriage. Hes been gone for 5 months and hasnt filed doesnt that say something??

Last edited:

Proserpina

as i said i dont believe for a minute if hed wasnt into the drinking etc that things would be like this. He has cut himself off from basically everyone not just me. And yes IF i can get him help and we can fix our problems I would like to save my marriage. Hes been gone for 5 months and hasnt filed doesnt that say something??

Honestly? All it says is that he doesn't want to be with you and is pretty apathetic about both the marriage and getting off his butt to initiate a divorce.

LdiJ

Honestly? All it says is that he doesn't want to be with you and is pretty apathetic about both the marriage and getting off his butt to initiate a divorce.
I agree. The apathy is probably due to the drinking etc., but its apathy nonetheless.

We have seen people on these forums who have been separated for 20 plus years without ever getting around to getting a divorce, and when they finally want one, they have no idea how to find their spouse to facilitate doing so.

hiswife4

Ok opinions noted BUT do i have any legel recourse here to have him put into treatment, thats what i need to know, if we are together or not I DO NOT want anything to happen to him**************......

Proserpina

Ok opinions noted BUT do i have any legel recourse here to have him put into treatment, thats what i need to know, if we are together or not I DO NOT want anything to happen to him**************......

You haven't said anything to suggest that he's mentally incompetent, hence it's unlikely you can force him into treatment.

mistoffolees

Legally, probably not - unless you can prove he's incompetent.

Outside of that, you could see if his family and friends are interested in confronting him to tell him that he needs to address his behavior.

Barring that, you need to understand that you can not take responsibility for another adult's life. You can only take responsibility for your own and your kids. Focus on doing what you need to do for yourself and your kids - very possibly including divorce. If he gets his act together, you can always marry him again later.

Something to think about if you're really seriously considering staying married. What happens if/when he drives drunk and has an accident, injuring or killing someone? Guess what - there go your savings, your car, possibly your home, everything you've worked for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">