• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment of marriage in South Louisiana?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annulmentneeded

Louisiana. Ascension Parish. Gonzales.​

I live in Gonzales, Louisiana and recently married someone. Recently, like August 30th, 2010. The reason I married him, turns out to be untrue, and fraudulent.
See, he is in the military, (not active duty) and he claimed that in order to sign some contract and relocate us to another state, and make tons of money, and all that... That we had to be married. And, as soon as possible. We rushed our marriage, and turns out, there was no contract. There is no relocation. No anything. He lied. If that wasn't enough, he turned into a manipulative, verbally abusive, childish, user. He has lived off of me and my money for the last 2 yrs, except for when he was in basic. I contacted the Clerk of Court in my parish, and was told by a woman who has worked there for 30 years, that she has only seen one anullment in her tenure, and has no idea how to go about obtaining one. She suggested I contact a lawyer, and get a divorce because it's "easier." I told her, that I don't want to be "Divorced"; But, due to the fact that the reason for this marriage was based on deception, I believe that it qualified for anullment. A marriage based on a lie, should be declared to have never happened. (At least, from what I've researched on my local laws.) My youngest child has had his last name since birth, (1 1/2 yrs) but he is not the father. In fact, I am planning to change his name, as soon as possible. He knows he is not the father, and has even written a statement to this point, and in it, has relenquished any and all rights to this child. It's not notarized or anything, but I believe he would sign a notarized affidavit to that effect.

My questions are:
Do I qualify for annulment on these basis?
What all is involved in getting an annulment?
Are there any legal issues I should be aware of?
How do I get this process started?
Can this be done without a lawyer?
How much will this cost?

He has cost me so much money, and credit, that I'm struggling to make ends meet, as it is... And can't afford legal help. This is why my last question is probably the most important... right now, anyway.

Thanks in advance, for any replys or assistance.

Antigone*

Louisiana. Ascension Parish. Gonzales.​

I live in Gonzales, Louisiana and recently married someone. Recently, like August 30th, 2010. The reason I married him, turns out to be untrue, and fraudulent.
See, he is in the military, (not active duty) and he claimed that in order to sign some contract and relocate us to another state, and make tons of money, and all that... That we had to be married. And, as soon as possible. We rushed our marriage, and turns out, there was no contract. There is no relocation. No anything. He lied. If that wasn't enough, he turned into a manipulative, verbally abusive, childish, user. He has lived off of me and my money for the last 2 yrs, except for when he was in basic. I contacted the Clerk of Court in my parish, and was told by a woman who has worked there for 30 years, that she has only seen one anullment in her tenure, and has no idea how to go about obtaining one. She suggested I contact a lawyer, and get a divorce because it's "easier." I told her, that I don't want to be "Divorced"; But, due to the fact that the reason for this marriage was based on deception, I believe that it qualified for anullment. A marriage based on a lie, should be declared to have never happened. (At least, from what I've researched on my local laws.) My youngest child has had his last name since birth, (1 1/2 yrs) but he is not the father. In fact, I am planning to change his name, as soon as possible. He knows he is not the father, and has even written a statement to this point, and in it, has relenquished any and all rights to this child. It's not notarized or anything, but I believe he would sign a notarized affidavit to that effect.

My questions are:
Do I qualify for annulment on these basis?
What all is involved in getting an annulment?
Are there any legal issues I should be aware of?
How do I get this process started?
Can this be done without a lawyer?
How much will this cost?

He has cost me so much money, and credit, that I'm struggling to make ends meet, as it is... And can't afford legal help. This is why my last question is probably the most important... right now, anyway.

Thanks in advance, for any replys or assistance.
He isn't the only one who has been deceptive. Your poor child.:mad:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You have no case for annulment.
Get a divorce. It's cheaper and easier anyway!

annulmentneeded

@Antigone...

First off, did you even read the part YOU highlighted? HE KNOWS HE IS NOT THE FATHER. He knew I was pregnant when we met, and the only reason my child has his last name is because while we were dating, I gave birth, and he asked to sign the certificate. Me, thinking we would get married eventually, allowed him to do so. That has no hint of deception in it.

Also, I came here for advice, not judgements... So, you can keep your opinions to yourself. Don't ever judge me, or my children, because I'm sure you've done things YOU regret. Plus, it sounds like you're probably a worse person than I ever could be. Honestly, who get on an advice forum to bash other people? You make me sick.

@Zigner:

This is not a case of fraud? Maybe I'm mistaken on the definition. Is a divorce really cheaper than an annulment? The whole point is: I don't want to have to declare that I was ever married to begin with because, as I stated it was based on a lie. On every job application, census form, and in my local church. Is there any other GOOD advice out there for my situation?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
@Antigone...

First off, did you even read the part YOU highlighted? HE KNOWS HE IS NOT THE FATHER. He knew I was pregnant when we met, and the only reason my child has his last name is because while we were dating, I gave birth, and he asked to sign the certificate. Me, thinking we would get married eventually, allowed him to do so. That has no hint of deception in it.

Also, I came here for advice, not judgements... So, you can keep your opinions to yourself. Don't ever judge me, or my children, because I'm sure you've done things YOU regret. Plus, it sounds like you're probably a worse person than I ever could be. Honestly, who get on an advice forum to bash other people? You make me sick.

@Zigner:

This is not a case of fraud? Maybe I'm mistaken on the definition. Is a divorce really cheaper than an annulment? The whole point is: I don't want to have to declare that I was ever married to begin with because, as I stated it was based on a lie. On every job application, census form, and in my local church. Is there any other GOOD advice out there for my situation?
You don't want ADVICE, you want somebody to tell you that you can get an annulment, whether it's correct or not.

Go research the laws on annulment in your state and then come back with actual references to the grounds for annulment. I'd LOVE to see you find where "fraud" is mentioned.

Just Blue

@Antigone...

First off, did you even read the part YOU highlighted? HE KNOWS HE IS NOT THE FATHER. He knew I was pregnant when we met, and the only reason my child has his last name is because while we were dating, I gave birth, and he asked to sign the certificate. Me, thinking we would get married eventually, allowed him to do so. That has no hint of deception in it. Also, I came here for advice, not judgements... So, you can keep your opinions to yourself. Don't ever judge me, or my children, because I'm sure you've done things YOU regret. Plus, it sounds like you're probably a worse person than I ever could be. Honestly, who get on an advice forum to bash other people? You make me sick.

@Zigner:

Are you a stupid person? Or just a dimwit? YOU COMMITTED PATERNITY FRAUD. YOU ARE DECEIVING THE STATE. YOU ARE DECEIVING THIS CHILD.

mistoffolees

You don't want ADVICE, you want somebody to tell you that you can get an annulment, whether it's correct or not.

Go research the laws on annulment in your state and then come back with actual references to the grounds for annulment. I'd LOVE to see you find where "fraud" is mentioned.
And even if it were, she lived with him 2 years after discovering the fraud - which likely eliminates the option of using fraud as grounds for annulment, anyway.

LdiJ

And even if it were, she lived with him 2 years after discovering the fraud - which likely eliminates the option of using fraud as grounds for annulment, anyway.
Huh? **************..

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I think she's saying she's lived with him for two years, but discovered the so-called "fraud" only after they were married two months ago.

mistoffolees

I think she's saying she's lived with him for two years, but discovered the so-called "fraud" only after they were married two months ago.
OK. I just saw "He has lived off of me and my money for the last 2 yrs" and missed the part about just being married.

It doesn't really matter - this isn't grounds for annulment.

Antigone*

At the end of the day, it is evident that neither one of these people was honest to themselves, each other, or the poor child who is being raised with lies as a foundation.

Again, poor child.:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">