• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in Virginia -- How to procede?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DanV2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? -- Virginia

To sum things up, I was driving home to Tennessee through Wytheville, Virginia this weekend and got a ticket for reckless driving, going 88 in a 65 zone. I have a perfect record up till this. My court date is December 3. I realize that this is a misdemeanor in Virginia, but I also understand that the chance of having it reduced to Improper driving by the judge or prosecutor is also very possible. This much I have gathered by reading around on other forums.

I did have a few other questions which I did not see answered elsewhere. For example, would it be wise/recommended to contact the officer who pulled me over to ask if he would be willing to recommend that the charge be reduced to improper driving? I have seen a few other posts mention this but I do not know if it is recommended. Also, from what I've read, it seems as though an attorney is not necessary for a charge like this, unless the trial goes horribly wrong.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend doing? What should I say at the trial? I've read that the prosecutors often try to make deals with people before the trial, but if this doesn't happen, should I ask the judge to reduce the sentence to improper driving?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">