• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling estate before reading will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quickhelp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My father recently passed. Six of us are in his will, my sister is the power of attorney and is wanting to sell everything before the will is read. I know some of the items she is wanting to sell are in the will including the real estate. Is it legal for her to sell anything without the will being read? Can I stop sales until the will is read? Any advice or information is appreciated.

curb1

Quick answer .... "No". She is not the "the power of attorney". That ended when your father passed. She has no power at this time to do much of anything with the estate.

Who is listed as personal representative/executor in the will? Most likely, the will has been read.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">