• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIL keeping someone else's child in a nasty home!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CLV4444

I live in Rome, Georgia.
I need to know what I should do about certain circumstances and I do not have anyone else to ask. Here is the whole story...
My mother in law has been raising her niece's daughter from the child's birth until now. The little girl is now 3 yrs old. She also has a twin brother that has been raised from here to there and is now being raised by her grandfather. The mother of the twins receives food stamps and medicaid for her children, but she does not give my mother in law or the grandfather food for the children. So, this is basically fraud. This is not my major concern though. My MIL's home is VERY nasty. I refuse to leave my babies at her house and only go over there when I absolutely have to because of my husband. We have told her she needs to clean, but she will not! It's basically a hoarder situation with a nasty dog and cat. Feces in kitty litter is all over the floor and she never cleans anything. So use your imagination on the filth. I have talked to the twins pediatrician about the situation and told her I don't know what else to do except call DFCS. I was hoping that she would call them so that I would not have to and I took pics to show her of my MIL's house. She said she does not call DFCS because they only put the children in worse circumstances than they are already in. I do not know if I should call DFCS. But, the story goes on...The niece and the twin's father are trying to get a divorce. They go to court Wednesday about custody of the twins. My MIL is going to have to testify, but she is going to lie for her niece of course and say that the niece DOES keep her twins and that she only babysits them sometimes. I told her this is not right and that she should want what is best for the babies. My MIL is ALWAYS complaining about having to take care of the little girl and blah blah blah. I have called DFCS before about the niece not taking care of her own children and the children always being nasty. I for some reason did not say anything about my MIL's house and they did not go to her home. They went to the niece's home, but of course she was already told by DFCS that they were coming to speak with her about who keeps the twins, so my MIL made sure they were there. My MIL lied to DFCS about where the twins lived and not much action was taken. I feel obligated to worry about these babies for one being separated, but also the conditions they are living in. I don't want the niece to get custody of them if she is not going to keep them. She doesn't even want the babies, she just wants the almost $700 a month she gets for foodstamps for herself (she also claims to keep her other two children that someone else keeps for a total of 4 children she claims) and I am sure she gets other assistance such as WIC and TANF as well. Please give me advice on what I should do!
Thanks!

Antigone*

I live in Rome, Georgia.
I need to know what I should do about certain circumstances and I do not have anyone else to ask. Here is the whole story...
My mother in law has been raising her niece's daughter from the child's birth until now. The little girl is now 3 yrs old. She also has a twin brother that has been raised from here to there and is now being raised by her grandfather. The mother of the twins receives food stamps and medicaid for her children, but she does not give my mother in law or the grandfather food for the children. So, this is basically fraud. This is not my major concern though. My MIL's home is VERY nasty. I refuse to leave my babies at her house and only go over there when I absolutely have to because of my husband. We have told her she needs to clean, but she will not! It's basically a hoarder situation with a nasty dog and cat. Feces in kitty litter is all over the floor and she never cleans anything. So use your imagination on the filth. I have talked to the twins pediatrician about the situation and told her I don't know what else to do except call DFCS. I was hoping that she would call them so that I would not have to and I took pics to show her of my MIL's house. She said she does not call DFCS because they only put the children in worse circumstances than they are already in. I do not know if I should call DFCS. But, the story goes on...The niece and the twin's father are trying to get a divorce. They go to court Wednesday about custody of the twins. My MIL is going to have to testify, but she is going to lie for her niece of course and say that the niece DOES keep her twins and that she only babysits them sometimes. I told her this is not right and that she should want what is best for the babies. My MIL is ALWAYS complaining about having to take care of the little girl and blah blah blah. I have called DFCS before about the niece not taking care of her own children and the children always being nasty. I for some reason did not say anything about my MIL's house and they did not go to her home. They went to the niece's home, but of course she was already told by DFCS that they were coming to speak with her about who keeps the twins, so my MIL made sure they were there. My MIL lied to DFCS about where the twins lived and not much action was taken. I feel obligated to worry about these babies for one being separated, but also the conditions they are living in. I don't want the niece to get custody of them if she is not going to keep them. She doesn't even want the babies, she just wants the almost $700 a month she gets for foodstamps for herself (she also claims to keep her other two children that someone else keeps for a total of 4 children she claims) and I am sure she gets other assistance such as WIC and TANF as well. Please give me advice on what I should do!
Thanks!
You have two choices: Call DFCS and tell them your story or MYOB.

Just Blue

I live in Rome, Georgia.
My mother in law ...blah...blah...blah..and more blah blah... Please give me advice on what I should do!Thanks!

Get off your duff and help the children. REPORT THE NEGLECT (of MIL) to the proper agency.

LdiJ

Get off your duff and help the children. REPORT THE NEGLECT (of MIL) to the proper agency.
Absolutely. If its really that bad you have no choice but to report it.

Although, if the dad of the twins can prove that the children do not live with mom, he may get custody and it may not be an issue. You might also help resolve the issue by testifying for the father of the twins.

Who has her other two children? Clearly she is committing some major welfare fraud if none of her children live with her but she is collecting benefits for all of them.

commentator

And by all means, report the food stamp fraud too, it's a different area than children's services. There should be a way to do this without having to get over involved. If there is a report of fraud, they'll start digging at it, requiring proofs, re-evaluating, etc.

CLV4444

You have two choices: Call DFCS and tell them your story or MYOB.
Are you saying that it is not any of my business? I feel like it is my business because what if something happens to the children and I did not report it? I am in college for Early Childhood Education, so I have been exposed to the issues that come along with children being in these situations.

CLV4444

I think that I do need to report her, it is just a hard situation. My husband does not want me to report them because it is his family. I have tried to talk to him about it, but he just shuts me off. So, I am torn.

CLV4444

Absolutely. If its really that bad you have no choice but to report it.

Although, if the dad of the twins can prove that the children do not live with mom, he may get custody and it may not be an issue. You might also help resolve the issue by testifying for the father of the twins.

Who has her other two children? Clearly she is committing some major welfare fraud if none of her children live with her but she is collecting benefits for all of them.
The father of the twins is just as bad about the parenting issue as the the mother. Neither of them want anything to do with them until "assistance" is involved or to hold over the other's head. I know when they go to court that it is going to be a big deal. The father is going to tell the judge that the mother does not keep them, and the mother is going to say that they father doesn't keep them. My MIL is going to be on her niece's side of course even though she complains about having to keep the little girl. She is also going to say that they other twin lives with the mother too. The grandfather will be there to back this up.

The other two have a different father than the twins. They stay with their father's parents. I know it is major fraud. I have tried to explain this to my husband. I told him earlier that it should bother him that the mother gets to use her food stamps to buy name brand food while other people really do need assistance. I said that it is sad that the government supports people like her while student's like me can't get any help with childcare costs. We do the right thing (try to make something of ourselves) and have it harder, while these people like her abuse assistance. Ughh. People need to wake up!

CLV4444

And by all means, report the food stamp fraud too, it's a different area than children's services. There should be a way to do this without having to get over involved. If there is a report of fraud, they'll start digging at it, requiring proofs, re-evaluating, etc.
I am going to report her. Yeah, I don't want to get too involved in the issue. I just want what is best for the children.

LdiJ

I think that I do need to report her, it is just a hard situation. My husband does not want me to report them because it is his family. I have tried to talk to him about it, but he just shuts me off. So, I am torn.
Yep, that's a serious problem. Do the right thing for the children that you are concerned about, and SHOULD be concerned about, or possibly tank your own marriage...and then deal with YOUR children being exposed to MIL's unsanitary home during your future ex-husband's time with his children...particularly if he chooses to move in with his mom due to financial issues regarding your potential divorce.

Its almost a no-win situation.

However, there is at least one child here that is living in squalor...assuming that social services would agree with you. Can you live with that?

Just Blue

Are you saying that it is not any of my business? I feel like it is my business because what if something happens to the children and I did not report it? I am in college for Early Childhood Education, so I have been exposed to the issues that come along with children being in these situations.
I am going to report her. Yeah, I don't want to get too involved in the issue. I just want what is best for the children.
Yeah...As a person that is planning on dealing with children...It is "most important" to not get too involved. God help the children in your care...:(

CLV4444

Yep, that's a serious problem. Do the right thing for the children that you are concerned about, and SHOULD be concerned about, or possibly tank your own marriage...and then deal with YOUR children being exposed to MIL's unsanitary home during your future ex-husband's time with his children...particularly if he chooses to move in with his mom due to financial issues regarding your potential divorce.

Its almost a no-win situation.

However, there is at least one child here that is living in squalor...assuming that social services would agree with you. Can you live with that?
Haha. Well I hope this does not lead to a divorce with my husband, but I have told him before that if I did divorce him, I would make it a point that they were not to be over there. I don't know why people want to be so ignorant and not do what is best for their babies. This is def. a no win situation.

No, I would not be able to live with that. They don't ever brush the child's hair and they will leave the same clothes on her for days. It is a HORRIBLE situation. I know my MIL and the grandfather love the twins, but they should think a little bit more about their health and well-being...

CLV4444

Yeah...As a person that is planning on dealing with children...It is "most important" to not get too involved. God help the children in your care...:(
My children are VERY well taken care of and have everything that they want and need. The twins are NOT my children and I am just trying to be a good person and do what is right. So it is very rude of you to say that to me. Maybe you should check yourself as a person...Perhaps you are that same way as the niece or MIL, so you feel offended. Yepp, I am almost convinced that you are like them. I am not here to argue. I asked for help, not rude comments.

Proserpina

My children are VERY well taken care of and have everything that they want and need. The twins are NOT my children and I am just trying to be a good person and do what is right. So it is very rude of you to say that to me. Maybe you should check yourself as a person...Perhaps you are that same way as the niece or MIL, so you feel offended. Yepp, I am almost convinced that you are like them. I am not here to argue. I asked for help, not rude comments.

That was completely out of line.

YOU said you didn't want to get "too involved". Those were YOUR words.

But another member is the bad guy?

REALLY?

CLV4444

That was completely out of line.

YOU said you didn't want to get "too involved". Those were YOUR words.

But another member is the bad guy?

REALLY?
I understand that you think that my comment was "out of line", but do you not think that person was rude to assume that I am a bad parent? That person does not even know me and def. should not judge me considering I am asking for advice on what I should do to help children!

REALLY!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">