• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

installateur

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

i am a signatory on my mothers 2 bank accounts. will that money be mine when she dies. i have 3 brothers. there is nothing in the will that addresses that question.

anteater

Generally, simply having signature authority gives no right to ownership upon the account owner's passing.

curb1

When you asked your mother how she would like to have the money handled when she dies .... what did she say?

curb1

OK, then you and her need to march down to the bank today and change how the account is set. Her saying this doesn't mean anything but a big family fight when mother passes. Does she have a reason for her statement to the exclusion of your brothers? Is mother of sound mind? Are you pressuring her in any way in making the statement? Are you on good terms with your brothers?

From the limited information it sounds like a potential "cat fight". Maybe not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">