• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd Offense for Poss Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aznon3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Arizona

Hello everyone, 1st post and in need some advice. Here is my situation, i'll make it short and simple as possible. Any comment please reply.

Back in Feb 2010 I got charged for poss of marijuana. In Oct 2010 driving through the I-8 got charged again for poss mj but this time there was a warrant out for my Feb incident but I never got any paperwork for it. Today I went to court for the Feb charge and got on undesignated probation. My question is that I have another court date for the Oct charges in Dec 2010. What will happen? will they try to say I violated my probation? since im currently on probation for the Feb charges. What should I expect to happen in court? Could a public defender help me to not get jail time or would I need to hire an experience lawyer?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The Occultist

If I'm reading your post correctly, you are saying that, technically speaking, your probation didn't start until after the charges for the second offense; is this correct? If so, then you have not violated the terms of your probation. If all this is true, then you are probably in for some luck, as the deferred prosecution policies of the state of AZ will allow you to get in a trouble for a second time and still get deferred prosecution (meaning you're likely looking at extra fines, extra drug classes, and a lengthy probation). The third time will definitely land you with jail time, so don't even take that chance (that bit of advice is likely falling on deaf ears considering you didn't learn your lesson the first time and still continued your illegal activity).

Even if I am 100% correct here (and there is a chance I am not), it is still a really good idea to start talking to attorneys and considering obtaining legal representation. Local attorneys know best what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential in yielding the most favorable results. The attorneys you want are the ones with offices across the street from the courthouse. Yes, their fees can be quite a bit larger than you'd find elsewhere, but these typically the ones you want by your side. Many attorneys will offer free/cheap consultations, so you should take advantage of this and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

aznon3

Thank u for your reply and yes my probation for the Feb charges has just started yesterday. Whats weird is that when i tried to look up my court case for Dec, there was no record of it online. Does anyone know how long does it take for a court case to show online?

The Occultist

Whether or not it's online is largely immaterial to your situation. If you have questions that only the court can answer, a call (or showing up in person) to speak to a clerk might give you some of the information you need (do note that AZ clerks are not allowed to give even one minuscule amount of legal advice, but even if they break that rule and try to give advice anyways, you are better off taking it with a grain of salt, much like the advice given by me or anybody else on this board).

Out of curiosity, where online are you seeking this information? The site I generally use for court information is http://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/publicaccess/. I find that it typically updates within a couple business days of the citation being written.

aznon3

I've used the same link that you have posted and I cant find my case anywhere. Even tried all the court that was available and still no luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">