• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Free Mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1beatenmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
In late Sept. 2010, I followed procedure, according to the Shelby County Task Force, to turn in a VERY small amount of marijuana, rolling papers, and a 'one-hitter'. The reason I chose to turn it over to the police, is because I have 2 teenagers, both whom refused to take responsibility/confess.
Several 'agents' came to my home, I let them inside and handed them the 'stuff'. They asked to look around and I ENCOURAGED them to do so. Problems arose when they wanted access to a gunsafe and a detached garage, because I, myself, didn't have the combinations or keys to either. I told the men that only my oldest son and his father had access. They told me that a couple of them were going to stay outside, while one or more, went to get a search warrant. It was now about 1pm
Long story short, by 5pm, they still didn't have their warrant. They had already questioned my teens and their grandmother. That's when they asked me to come outside of my home with my purse. I did as I was asked. (STUPID MOVE) That's when one of the men told me that I was under arrest for possession and paraphenelia !? They hand-cuffed me and I thought I was having a nightmare! I thought if I got back inside, that they couldn't arrest me. So, YES, I ran for the back door. (Another STUPID move), I guess, because that's when two huge men (I'm 5'2"/115lbs), grabbed me by the back of my head and slammed my face into the thermostat on the wall, took me down and continued to beat my face into my kitchen floor until I passed out in a pool of blood, with the sound of my boys crying and screaming !!
They added the charge of ESCAPE 3rd degree along with the drug charges!!
The public defender moved it to the Grand Jury, mumbled about bogust charges, and told me that basically ALL will be dropped. My question is, after being wrongfully charged, beaten in my home, suffered from a broken nose, 6 stitches in my forehead, multiple bruises, not to mention the nightmares that not only I suffer from, but also my boys, can I sue the County/agents/state? Or is it similiar to the old saying, "You can't fight City Hall"?

Isis1

Are you saying excessive forced was used? Or was your injuries a result of you fleeing and fighting capture?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
In late Sept. 2010, I followed procedure, according to the Shelby County Task Force, to turn in a VERY small amount of marijuana, rolling papers, and a 'one-hitter'. The reason I chose to turn it over to the police, is because I have 2 teenagers, both whom refused to take responsibility/confess.
Several 'agents' came to my home, I let them inside and handed them the 'stuff'. They asked to look around and I ENCOURAGED them to do so. Problems arose when they wanted access to a gunsafe and a detached garage, because I, myself, didn't have the combinations or keys to either. I told the men that only my oldest son and his father had access. They told me that a couple of them were going to stay outside, while one or more, went to get a search warrant. It was now about 1pm
Long story short, by 5pm, they still didn't have their warrant. They had already questioned my teens and their grandmother. That's when they asked me to come outside of my home with my purse. I did as I was asked. (STUPID MOVE) That's when one of the men told me that I was under arrest for possession and paraphenelia !? They hand-cuffed me and I thought I was having a nightmare! I thought if I got back inside, that they couldn't arrest me. So, YES, I ran for the back door. (Another STUPID move), I guess, because that's when two huge men (I'm 5'2"/115lbs), grabbed me by the back of my head and slammed my face into the thermostat on the wall, took me down and continued to beat my face into my kitchen floor until I passed out in a pool of blood, with the sound of my boys crying and screaming !!
They added the charge of ESCAPE 3rd degree along with the drug charges!!
The public defender moved it to the Grand Jury, mumbled about bogust charges, and told me that basically ALL will be dropped. My question is, after being wrongfully charged, beaten in my home, suffered from a broken nose, 6 stitches in my forehead, multiple bruises, not to mention the nightmares that not only I suffer from, but also my boys, can I sue the County/agents/state? Or is it similiar to the old saying, "You can't fight City Hall"?
There were drugs and paraphenelia in your home. You tried to escape ~ You were not wrongfully charged.

Since you tried to run, the police used force to detain you. You may have a course of action for the injuries, but your boys do not.

Hold on a sec, your boys do have a course of action. They can sue you for being a poor excuse of a parent for having drugs in the home.

carguy31

wow, tough crowd. anybody that thinks this woman was not done wrong needs to go have a good look look in the mirror. How anybody could say she was rightly treated like that has little to no conscious. in a small way it reminds me of 30's germany. everybody gobbles up the gov't line, hook and sinker...

It makes me sick to think that a person could be treated like that for what? wow, it is even worse that people would chastise her for it.

Antigone*

wow, tough crowd. anybody that thinks this woman was not done wrong needs to go have a good look look in the mirror. How anybody could say she was rightly treated like that has little to no conscious. in a small way it reminds me of 30's germany. everybody gobbles up the gov't line, hook and sinker...

It makes me sick to think that a person could be treated like that for what? wow, it is even worse that people would chastise her for it.
Birds of a feather...

posting history, folks:cool:

carguy31

care to elaborate rather than making negative innuendos??
OR are you going to come out as a person with no compassion if your thoughts are made known?
or possible even if you listen to the last little bit of compassionate reason left deep inside you may have to admit that this woman was wronged.... and our government is quickly falling away from the proclaimed ideals that helped make it so great to begin with....

CdwJava

She's been told what she can do about it. She can consult an attorney to look into the excessive force issue. The force used may have been excessive, or, it may have been reasonable. Her struggling may have actually caused her injury - it's hard to say with the information present. All because someone gets an owee during an arrest does not mean that the cops brutalized the person.

carguy31

It's my contention that she should not have been arrested in the first place....

she found illegal contraband (which I not think should be illegal). she called the cops and reported it. then she was arrested for possession?

Yes, she needs a lawyer, it's sad and unfortunate that this is the case.

CdwJava

It's my contention that she should not have been arrested in the first place....
Ah, so you contend that the state cannot arrest for possession of controlled substance? Really??:confused:

she found illegal contraband (which I not think should be illegal). she called the cops and reported it. then she was arrested for possession?
It could be that they found more. Or, perhaps she had some on her person as she mentions she brought her purse outside with her.

If they arrested her for the stuff she turned over and she had been the one that initiated the call to the police, then I agree that she should not have been arrested. But I don't know a cop who WOULD arrest under such a circumstance which leads me to believe something more was going on.

Yes, she needs a lawyer, it's sad and unfortunate that this is the case.
Most people accused of a crime will need a lawyer.

If the facts support her contention as written here, then she may well have a good case against the agency involved.

cyjeff

I am also very curious about why the police would need a search warrant to open part of a house after the owner gave consent.

Why couldn't the police just enter the outbuilding? If there was a lock, why didn't the OP give the police the authority to remove that lock?

The police were there for FOUR hours. MUCH more than what we have heard here has transpired.

Last... why wasn't one of the children arrested if the drugs belonged to them? Are you saying that the police didn't talk to the children about the true ownership of the drugs?

This is reading more and more like a bad after school special script.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Considering I'm familiar with the police force that she was trying to escape, I'd have to say that your comments are OUT OF LINE. :cool:

CdwJava

Geekess, this guy is a 10-37:cool:
This is the problem with ten codes - they vary by jurisdiction.

Out here you said, "this guy is an 'identify operator' ..."

On a side note, this is why the FCC is pushing for agencies to conform to a "clear text" method of transmission sop that there can be more effective interopability between agencies. I know of one agency out here that uses "Code 7" as a reference to a deceased person! For most of us, it's a reference to lunch! Yecch! That would raise a few eyebrows in scanner land for those of us not from there.

carguy31

Considering I'm familiar with the police force that she was trying to escape, I'd have to say that your comments are OUT OF LINE.
Sounds like the tricked her to come out of her house b/c they couldn't get a warrant? i do not think they are out of line.

Geekess, this guy is a 10-37:cool:
I am calling out things I see wrong. The law does not appear to be about what is right and wrong anymore, nor about what is just and unjust.
and you decide to resort to derogatory statements, backed not by fact but rather by lies or fear or just plain spite... ;)

cyjeff

Sounds like the tricked her to come out of her house b/c they couldn't get a warrant? i do not think they are out of line.
Why would they need a warrant to arrest her for possession of the drugs she handed them?

Or to be in a house that the OP gave them open access to?

I am calling out things I see wrong. The law does not appear to be about what is right and wrong anymore, nor about what is just and unjust.
and you decide to resort to derogatory statements, backed not by fact but rather by lies or fear or just plain spite... ;)
No, you are calling out things that you THINK are wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">