• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trustee able to mortgage trust property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nusingelila

re: California law

If I am the intended beneficiary of a trust (real estate), do I need to be concerned about the possibility that (a newly appointed trustee who is also a beneficiary of the same estate but of different property) a trustee can take out a mortgage or some kind of lien against the trust (property)? Can I be liable for such a lien even if I don't know about or approve such a lien? Is there a requirement for the trustee to either disclose or get my permission to create a lien? What happens if the mortgage/lien exceeds the value of the property when I am supposed to receive it? Or if the mortgage simply continues to exist regardless of value - am I required to either pay it or lose part of the property (i.e. am I responsible for the lien in any way if I never approved of it?).

tranquility

A trustee has the fiduciary duty to not benefit one beneficiary over the other. While, if the trust needs funds for legitimate trust purposes, a trustee can usually encumber property, the decision cannot be an attempt to favor a specific or class of beneficiaries.

However, banks don't like lending to trust property as a general rule. That's one of the reasons for all the switchy-switchy which goes on when a person's home in a revocable trust is taken out for the loan and then added back to the trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">