• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Dad's Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barbijean

What is the name of your state PENNSYLVANIA..

My Mom & Dad were never married. I was 3 when my Dad left us. He paid child support for me for 11 years at approx. $18/mth. I invited him to my graduation, to my wedding, and even sent him pics of my kids when they were born. NO RESPONSE. When I was 33 years old, I decided to look him up. For a few years, we were close with him, his other 2 sons and his wife. We would go over weekly to play cards or otherwise visit.

His wife died; then he remarried. Once he remarried, his new wife threw a fit everytime we visited. One particular time she came in while we were there and she was carrying a birthday cake for my Dad. She was with another woman to which she said, "If they think they are getting any cake, they are mistaken". I heard this myself. Several other times when we visited, she made crude remarks. When my kids/grandkids would visit, she did the same thing; driving us away. We had to visit Dad while she was working.

My Dad passed away in July 2010. I've been trying to get a copy of the will, but the atty's office said they could not give me one; my younger brother said his attorney said he couldn't make copies. I spoke with my other brother (who is the oldest of those two) this evening and point-blank asked if I was mentioned. He said that it mentioned my name in the will but that I was already provided for! He's never given me anything except for the 11 years of child support!

I've lost my Dad 3 times throughout my life, and now I've lost him for good.... This time, there is apparently nothing tying us together, as I was given nothing. The will has NOT yet been read, but my younger brother told me I was being invited to the will reading. I don't want to go to a will reading and find out, in front of everyone, that I don't get anything! I would feel stupid; like I didn't matter!

I don't know what to do or which way to turn. Can you please advise me?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

there is generally no formal "will reading" unless the testator directed somebody to do so. A person simply files in whatever court probates wills and opens a file. They then submit the will to be probated.

that is open to the public. you can see what is in that file, including the will.

barbijean

Thanks!

Thank you! As you can imagine, I am beside myself and didn't know which way to turn!
I appreciate your reply!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">