• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepdad's not paying back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BrookeAdams

from Delaware

In January of 1999 prior my moving out of my paretns home, my step father stole a intercepted a new credit card that had been sent to me from Discover. At the time, he owed a small store. Without my knowledge, he ran the credit card though his machine in his store in order to deposit the merchant slips in his store's bank account and then withdrawl them as cash. He spent a total of 1000.00. I was not aware that this bill even existed until May of 1999 when I was turned down for a loan due to a credit card that was about two lates from being charged off. I chose not to press charges at the time because I didn't want the repercussions of my stepfathers punishment to affect my mom and sisters adversly. He stated on many occasions since then that he planned to pay the money back to me as I have now paid the card off, however, I have not seen a dime of that money. Unfortunately, Discover is only able to provide me with statement copies from that period of time. They do not have a record of sales receipts to show that he charged on the card. I have decided that after two years of patience I would like to take legal action. Do I have any recourse? Is there any other proof that I might be able to use? Where should I start?

JETX

Start by contacting the Small Claims court in the county where he lives. Ask them for a 'Complaint package'. You should get sample forms and instructions on how to fill them out and to file an action.

Then, you will have the choice of contacting him and telling him (by letter, CERTIFIED RRR) that you will no longer be his 'bank', and that if he doesn't repay you PROMPTLY, you will take him to court. If he doesn't pay, then you will need to determine the impact of your taking further action, or 'eating the loss' for the good of harmony. And only you can decide that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">