• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resisting Arrest and Public Intoxication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

recreate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

Hello,
I am an 18 year old student at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. I have recentley been charged with public intoxication and resisting arrest. Heres how the events took place: I was attending a fraternity which i was invited to and drinking insued while the concert was taking place. I was more or less drunk when people started shouting that the police were outside. I followed the crowd back into the house and was confronted by an officer asking me to leave, I did so and the two officers ended up following me down the sidewalk and told me to stop. I stopped and they asked for my identification and i couldnt find it so i began to run and then was tazed 30 yards down the road and arrested. I have never been in trouble with the law before and I am a full time student. I was scared as ive never had to talk to an officer and their explicit tone caused me to run. I talked to my attorney today and he said the prosecutors offered me a 350$ fine, and 30 days in jail. I CANNOT go to jail for any amount of time because of my school. Will my attorney be able to get a decent plea bargain for this case? I will pay the maximum fines and do as many hours of community service as they want but I simply cannot go to jail. What do you think will happen in this case?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anearthw

If you do not like what your attorney is suggesting, you may want to talk to another one. That might not change much except you may pay for the same result, even if you are told a different outcome will occur.

Being in university is no excuse for not being able to go to jail - people lose their careers or custody of their children as a result of jail sentences.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

Hello,
I am an 18 year old student at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. I have recentley been charged with public intoxication and resisting arrest. Heres how the events took place: I was attending a fraternity which i was invited to and drinking insued while the concert was taking place. I was more or less drunk when people started shouting that the police were outside. I followed the crowd back into the house and was confronted by an officer asking me to leave, I did so and the two officers ended up following me down the sidewalk and told me to stop. I stopped and they asked for my identification and i couldnt find it so i began to run and then was tazed 30 yards down the road and arrested. I have never been in trouble with the law before and I am a full time student. I was scared as ive never had to talk to an officer and their explicit tone caused me to run. I talked to my attorney today and he said the prosecutors offered me a 350$ fine, and 30 days in jail. I CANNOT go to jail for any amount of time because of my school. Will my attorney be able to get a decent plea bargain for this case? I will pay the maximum fines and do as many hours of community service as they want but I simply cannot go to jail. What do you think will happen in this case?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What did your attorney say when you asked him that question?

Trickster

Your biggest mistake was when you took off running from the police. It seems that at most you were in the public and was intoxicated. Usually public drunk laws involve a fine and no jail time. See if your attorney can work it out so you can spend your time in jail on weekends. Courts routinely will accomodate people in allowing them to serve time so as to keep the person from losing a job, or in your case school. The lesson learned here is like that old Barretta saying, "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime".

Plead for a better deal and if you are a first time offender the 30 days can be suspended and place you on probation. Next time, do not run.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">