• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vameil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

My ex husband was court ordered to pay me 15% of his military pension when he retired. He made 2 payments and has not made anymore for about 3 years. I have all the paperwork needed to file contempt charges against him that I received from the courthouse. Would an attorney be beneficial? Or is there little more an attorney could do regarding this case?

mistoffolees

If you've read and understood all the rules and procedures, you can probably file a contempt charge by yourself. If you're uncomfortable, get an attorney.

You can ask the court to make your ex pay your legal expenses. They don't always grant it, but since his behavior is clearly willful, you might get your legal expenses back.

Meanwhile, you should file the appropriate paperwork with the government so that the money is sent directly to you. He doesn't need to be involved.

LdiJ

If you've read and understood all the rules and procedures, you can probably file a contempt charge by yourself. If you're uncomfortable, get an attorney.

You can ask the court to make your ex pay your legal expenses. They don't always grant it, but since his behavior is clearly willful, you might get your legal expenses back.

Meanwhile, you should file the appropriate paperwork with the government so that the money is sent directly to you. He doesn't need to be involved.
Actually he probably does need to be involved. The military will not send a separate check to an ex spouse unless they were married for at least 10 years of his service period. Considering the fact that she is only getting 15%, its likely that they were not married for 10 years of his service period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">