• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperate Bank Accounts - Is that considered Community Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

calidivorce

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My husband and I have had our own seperate bank accounts and never joined accounts after marriage. We both earn and have been depositing our incomes seperately. I wanted to know if there is a divorce, will our own individuals accounts be considered community property as well and would have to be distributed evenly?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My husband and I have had our own seperate bank accounts and never joined accounts after marriage. We both earn and have been depositing our incomes seperately. I wanted to know if there is a divorce, will our own individuals accounts be considered community property as well and would have to be distributed evenly?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
By "incomes" I am assuming you are talking about wages. As such, yes, those funds are community property.

Antigone*

If you are in the great State of California (and you are) the answer is..

...yep:cool:

Last edited:

nextwife

I believe that is ONLY if the account was comingled with marital funds.

So, say you come to the marriage with a stock account at Smith Barney, a checking and savings at Wells Fargo and an annuity at Prudential, and during the marriage ONLY place marital income into the Wells accounts, but leave the stocks and annuities alone. In that case, I am fairly certain that ONLY those Wells account become marital property, while the non comingled accounts stay seperete.

mistoffolees

I believe that is ONLY if the account was comingled with marital funds.

So, say you come to the marriage with a stock account at Smith Barney, a checking and savings at Wells Fargo and an annuity at Prudential, and during the marriage ONLY place marital income into the Wells accounts, but leave the stocks and annuities alone. In that case, I am fairly certain that ONLY those Wells account become marital property, while the non comingled accounts stay seperete.
Right, but OP says that they have been depositing their incomes to the account, so it's comingled.

Now, if the pre-marital amount were large enough, it MIGHT be possible to separate it out as a separate (non-marital) asset, but that's a lot of expense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">