• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents using my personal information in their divorce. I am over 18.?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dra9382

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am a 24 year old whose parents have been going through a divorce for about 6 years. Lately, I have been hearing from my dad that my mom has been using my bank account information or private student loan information to strengthen her case against him. I do not want to pick sides but I feel an invasion of privacy because I have not given anyone permission to access my bank account information. Her name is not on any of my accounts or loans. Is what she is doing illegal? How can I protect myself from what I feel is identity theft.

It is a ridiculously insane divorce, that is nothing but lies and deceit on both sides. I would not put it past her to do something like this however- its not the first time. Somehow she is trying to prove that I had to take out a student loan to pay for my college because he didn't pay for it. He did pay for it though because I took the checks myself to the college. She would not file for my financial aid, but yet claimed me on her tax return when I wasn't living with her.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am a 24 year old whose parents have been going through a divorce for about 6 years. Lately, I have been hearing from my dad that my mom has been using my bank account information or private student loan information to strengthen her case against him. I do not want to pick sides but I feel an invasion of privacy because I have not given anyone permission to access my bank account information. Her name is not on any of my accounts or loans. Is what she is doing illegal? How can I protect myself from what I feel is identity theft.

It is a ridiculously insane divorce, that is nothing but lies and deceit on both sides. I would not put it past her to do something like this however- its not the first time. Somehow she is trying to prove that I had to take out a student loan to pay for my college because he didn't pay for it. He did pay for it though because I took the checks myself to the college. She would not file for my financial aid, but yet claimed me on her tax return when I wasn't living with her.
Your idea of "staying out of it" is honestly the best idea...and I mean simply ignoring the whole thing no matter what happens.

There are things that you don't understand...or are not privy to.

For example, if your mother was the "custodial parent" then you living at college was considered a temporary absence from her home, and she was therefore still allowed to claim you.

If your father was court ordered to pay for certain things related to your college, and he didn't, necessitating you taking out student loans, that's a valid issue...even if he paid part of it.

Neither one of your parents should be telling you anything at all about their divorce, and based on the fact that you know something about it, at least one of them is doing so...and you admit that its your dad. If your dad were here we would be yelling at him...severely.

Please, for your own sake, be Switzerland, be completely neutral. They are both your parents. You love both of them. You should not take sides. Neither one of them should do anything to make you think that you should take sides.

Most of the time divorce stinks...and if a divorce has been going on for 6 years, then that means that it REALLY REALLY stinks.

If you really want to do something to help your parents then the best thing that you could do is to tell them that their 6 year battle has been extremely difficult on you and that you just wish that they would both leave you out of it and get it over with...and then you should refuse to listen to anything more about their divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">