• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long is a search warrant valid for after signed by a judge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alljasonfultz

I am in Kentucky and was wondering how long the cops have to do a search warrant after it is signed and dated by a judge?

CdwJava

I am in Kentucky and was wondering how long the cops have to do a search warrant after it is signed and dated by a judge?
I cannot find the statute in my brief search, but I suspect that there is period of only a few days after a judge's signature after which the warrant ceases to be valid.

If you suspect a search warrant may have been bad and incriminating evidence against you was found as a result of the warrant, you need to speak with legal counsel.

While an ARREST warrant may be forever, a SEARCH warrant is not.

Just Blue

I cannot find the statute in my brief search, but I suspect that there is period of only a few days after a judge's signature after which the warrant ceases to be valid.

If you suspect a search warrant may have been bad and incriminating evidence against you was found as a result of the warrant, you need to speak with legal counsel.

While an ARREST warrant may be forever, a SEARCH warrant is not.
Thanks Carl...I misread the OP's question...Duh on me...:eek:

All: Sorry for my wrong "advice" .

Blue:)

BOR

I also could not directly find it, it may be in the common law.

My state, Ohio, it is 10 days.

If we use the federal rules as a general guide, it is 14 days:

Rules of Criminal Procedure:

Rule 41;

(i) execute the warrant within a specified time no longer than 14 days;

Expect between 1-2 weeks for a SW to expire.

I have never heard of a SW without an expiration.

The Occultist

Perhaps if alljasonfultz could share some more information on his situation, we might be able to provide some more insightful advice as to where he stands in whatever situation he has found himself in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">