• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

got rearended, driver gave bad info and fled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brian27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
I'm trying to get an idea of what the police are going to be able to do about this. i was rear ended by another driver who failed to stop in time. he got out and after a couple minutes looking at his vehicle gave me his info and took off before the police could arrive. when i tried to verify the information with the insurance company it was made known by them that the numbers were bad, so now the police filed a hit and run report and i assume they will be searching the region and checking body shop records for vehicles that match the description. i went and filed a uninsured claim with my insurance since he fled the scene. the phone number he gave was disconnected but a local number in that area, is it possible the police will use the name and number to link back to him?

proud_parent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
I'm trying to get an idea of what the police are going to be able to do about this. i was rear ended by another driver who failed to stop in time. he got out and after a couple minutes looking at his vehicle gave me his info and took off before the police could arrive. when i tried to verify the information with the insurance company it was made known by them that the numbers were bad, so now the police filed a hit and run report and i assume they will be searching the region and checking body shop records for vehicles that match the description. i went and filed a uninsured claim with my insurance since he fled the scene. the phone number he gave was disconnected but a local number in that area, is it possible the police will use the name and number to link back to him?
Anything is possible. Were I in your situation, however, I would not hold my breath.

My husband was once hit on his way to work by hit and run driver. Not only did Hubby get the license plate number, he got the LICENSE PLATE -- the other vehicle's plate was embedded in the grille of Hubby's truck. Our local PD still did not track the driver down. :rolleyes:

Kiawah

Perfect use for cell phone camera's.

License plates, Vin numbers, picture of the driver, position of the vehicles, etc.

ajinaz

As soon as the accident is over and cleared it is no longer a police issue. It is a civil matter. Your insurance company should be the one looking, but they probably won't do a thing until everything is paid.

Last edited:

Brian27

could not get to the back of his vehicle to see his plate, 8am on a major highway. when he took off he did cut another car off to where they blocked my view of his plate. i'll be traveling that way again this morning and if he commutes daily that way i may see the vehicle if i'm lucky, hard to miss a white gmc jimmy with a front bumper curled up the way his was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">