• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FatSpottedAppy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello everyone,
My son just got a speeding ticket. He is under the age of 18 and has his Junior's License.. He was caught going 84 in a 55 zone. I am wondering the penalties for this (specific for PA).. Being under 18 and going 29 over.

Thank you in advance.

FatSpottedAppy

I hate to be a burden but is there anyway I could get that copy/pasted onto here? My computer isn't allowing me to read PDF files.

Maestro64

here is the applicable section of that document

Under the Age of 18
The driving privilege of a person under the age of 18 will be suspended if that person accumulates six (6) or more points or
is convicted of driving 26 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit. The first suspension will be for a period of 90
days. Any additional occurrences will result in a suspension of 120 days. This suspension is in addition to the requirements
of the point system found below.
Here is the general section

Excessive Speeding
When a driver is convicted for speeding 31 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit, the driver will have to attend a Departmental Hearing. The driver will receive a written notice of the specific time and location of the required hearing. The hearing examiner will review the driving record. Upon the Department's review of the hearing file, one or both of the following will be initiated:

1. 15 Day License Suspension
2. Special On-Road Driver's Examination

If a 15 day suspension is initiated, the driving record will show 5 points upon restoration. No points are removed if a special driver's examination is initiated and completed. Failure to attend this Departmental Hearing will result in a 60 day license suspension.
Removal of points, he will have points on his license for at least 2 years and his insurance most likely will be affected for 3 yrs after the points are gone, so this mistake will cost him for at least 5 yrs of increased premiums and insurance companies usually check junior drivers records every year so I highly doubt they will not find out.

Point Removal for Safe Driving
Three (3) points are removed from a driving record for every 12 consecutive months a person drives (from the date of the last
violation) without a violation which results in points, license suspension or revocation. Once a driving record is reduced to
zero and remains at zero points for 12 consecutive months, any further accumulation of points is treated as the first
accumulation of points.
License Suspension and Restoration
If a person’s driving privilege is to be suspended, a written notice will be mailed to the driver listing the date when the suspension will
begin. The driver may appeal the suspension to his or her county's Court of Common Pleas. The appeal must be made WITHIN 30 DAYS
AFTER the mailing date of the notice. The most recent product (ie, license, permit(s) and/or camera card) must be returned to the Bureau
of Driver Licensing by the effective date of suspension listed on the notice or the State Police, local police or other authorities that have
been delegated by the Department will be notified to pick up the license. In addition to serving the suspension or revocation, the
appropriate restoration fee must be paid before the license will be returned. After the driving privilege is restored, the driving record will
show 5 points, regardless of the number of points which appeared on the record before the license was suspended (except in the
case of a 15 day suspension resulting from a hearing for the second accumulation of 6 points).

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello everyone,
My son just got a speeding ticket. He is under the age of 18 and has his Junior's License.. He was caught going 84 in a 55 zone. I am wondering the penalties for this (specific for PA).. Being under 18 and going 29 over.

Thank you in advance.
If *my* under-18 driver were in this situation, the penalties from the state/courts would be the LEAST of his concerns.

Kiawah

If *my* under-18 driver were in this situation, the penalties from the state/courts would be the LEAST of his concerns.
I thought the same thing. There would be a mandatory dad suspension of a year.

FatSpottedAppy

here is the applicable section of that document

Here is the general section

Removal of points, he will have points on his license for at least 2 years and his insurance most likely will be affected for 3 yrs after the points are gone, so this mistake will cost him for at least 5 yrs of increased premiums and insurance companies usually check junior drivers records every year so I highly doubt they will not find out.
Thank you, I appreciate it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">