• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas to Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Llamacake

I recently moved to Texas from Virginia and a friend of mine (in Va) found out that there were two warrants for my arrest for Driving on a suspended licence and Failure to appear. I have two questions. One, can Texas detain me for the Va warrents? Two, Will this stop me from getting a valid licence in Texas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BOR

One, can Texas detain me for the Va warrents?

Probably not. Extradition radius' are not usually LONG ARM for non felonies.

Two, Will this stop me from getting a valid licence in Texas? Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Unknown until you TRY.

In the meantime you can research the Driver's License compact.

If the two states in Q are reciprocal with each other, a suspension in one and a failure to answer it, may carry over into your new Home state?

davew128

Since your license was suspended in VA (and you drove ANYWAY:rolleyes:) , what makes you think you can get one in TX?

davew128

Let me rephrase the question because clearly the first attempt was beyond you:

What makes you think you can get a license in Texas while you have suspended one in Virginia and drove with that suspended license? :rolleyes:

FlyingRon

DUS is a misdemeanor in Virginia. While extradition isn't likely, many have found that they will get detained if a records check shows an out of state warrant until the police determine if the state wants to come and get you. Of course if the commonwealth's attorney is willing to waive the possibility of jail time, they can just find you guilty in absentia and pile on even more fines.

As other's point out, in this day and age of computers, Texas will know your license is suspended and you'll not get one there. If you're caught driving there, you will be arrested. You're not getting a license anywhere until you square yourself with Virginia. A lawyer here can usually take care of it without an appearance.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">