• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about receipt/payment of auto repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jellogk

My car was damaged by someone else and they did not want to pay cash directly to me. Rather she paid cash to the body shop to get it repaired and the body shop gave both the lady and myself a receipt and the receipt showed it was paid by the lady. I can repair the damage pretty easily and would actually prefer it. Would there be any legal bindings that I could not and should not be able to turn in the receipt with her name for repair of my car that was paid in cash? Also, if it is of any matter, she signed a paper which i have, saying that she would pay the invoice for the full amount for the damages she caused. Any information would be greatly appreciated and the reason for this is because the car is less important right now in comparison to rent and school costs. thank you!

jellogk

I forgot to add, the reason i am asking is because the body shop is saying they need both receipts because of incidents they had where there were two receipts and one was returned and the other person tried to use the other receipt as a claim for something? he did not explain it well and i do not really understand why there would be an issue but they again that is why i am asking.

Antigone*

I forgot to add, the reason i am asking is because the body shop is saying they need both receipts because of incidents they had where there were two receipts and one was returned and the other person tried to use the other receipt as a claim for something? he did not explain it well and i do not really understand why there would be an issue but they again that is why i am asking.
If the lady agrees to give you her receipt then you shouldn't have any problem. If she does not want to turn ove the receipt (and she doesn't have to) then you've been made whole and she has complied with her legal obligation to you.

jellogk

aww hoped for a different answer but i guess i suspected that would be the case. she is not turning over her copy of the receipt :(. but thank you so much for the speedy response! you have been very helpful! :)

Antigone*

aww hoped for a different answer but i guess i suspected that would be the case. she is not turning over her copy of the receipt :(. but thank you so much for the speedy response! you have been very helpful! :)
Personally speaking, I wouldn't either. I'm paying to fix your car, not fill your pockets.

jellogk

understand where your coming from on that. however it goes both ways too. she did not want to go through insurance which i had no problem with. so i did her that much and although i found out at the end of the ordeal she did not want me to get the money (as well as you said you wouldnt want to let me pocket it), it isn't going to "wants" but rather needs such as paying rent and school which would let me breathe better seeing i work as a waiter and it isnt stable money. but like i said, i understand where both of you are coming from in the sense of paying for the damages.

Last edited:

Antigone*

understand where your coming from on that. however it goes both ways too. she did not want to go through insurance which i had no problem with. so i did her that much and although i found out at the end of the ordeal she did not want me to get the money (as well as you said you wouldnt want to let me pocket it), it isn't going to "wants" but rather needs such as paying rent and school which would let me breathe better seeing i work as a waiter and it isnt stable money. but like i said, i understand where both of you are coming from in the sense of paying for the damages.
Why on earth would you need money from a car wreck to fund your living expenses ~ :rolleyes: wait don't answer that.

Just know that she did the right thing by making you whole. Your bad financial situation is your own fault.

jellogk

it was some dents and a paint job that would be around $1,000 so it was nothing crucial but i figure i could pop it out myself and forego the matter of cosmetic damages for now and use it for more important matters. I was in no way implying she did anything wrong nor did i say she was responsible for paying for my expenses. all i wanted was an answer and figured that i did her a favor when she asked me not to go through insurance and was hoping she in turn would pay me cash as i initially thought because she told me i have no problem paying in cash, little did i know she meant pay the body shop in cash? which if that was the case i did not mind if she paid in credit or anything else. so judge it as you want, but know that in no way did i think she had any obligations to my expenses and that i am thankful the ordeal went smoothly for the most part.

ecmst12

Sorry Tigi you are totally wrong here. OP is entitled to be made whole - that means the cost of repairing the car. It is COMPLETELY up to him whether he wants to fix the car with that money or not. If he wants to accept the lower value of the car and use the cash for something else, that is HIS choice as the damaged party. The person at fault does NOT get to dictate where he gets the repairs done or if he gets them done at all.

OP, you can make a claim with her insurance or you can tell her that if she doesn't write a check directly to you in 10 days then you are taking her to small claims court. Then, do it.

Antigone*

Sorry Tigi you are totally wrong here. OP is entitled to be made whole - that means the cost of repairing the car. It is COMPLETELY up to him whether he wants to fix the car with that money or not. If he wants to accept the lower value of the car and use the cash for something else, that is HIS choice as the damaged party. The person at fault does NOT get to dictate where he gets the repairs done or if he gets them done at all.

OP, you can make a claim with her insurance or you can tell her that if she doesn't write a check directly to you in 10 days then you are taking her to small claims court. Then, do it.
I understand that but at this point the lady has already paid the body shop and he was okay with that.. Now he wants the receipt from her so that he can recover the cash. She doesn't have to give him the receipt.

They made an agreement and he was made whole by that agreement.

ecmst12

He doesn't have the cash in his hands, so he is not whole. It's on her that she paid the wrong party - she didn't damage the shop, she shouldn't be paying the shop. Up to her to get her money back from them and give it to the person she actually wronged.

Antigone*

He doesn't have the cash in his hands, so he is not whole. It's on her that she paid the wrong party - she didn't damage the shop, she shouldn't be paying the shop. Up to her to get her money back from them and give it to the person she actually wronged.
I shall defer to the subject matter expert:eek:. So if I've given the OP incorrect information, my apologies.

jellogk

well thank you both first of all for responding so quickly. second, whether it was incorrect or not, thank you for your input. i guess this is for the most part closed. (im assuming ecmst is really knowledgeable from antigone's response) once again, thank you so much.

Why not give her a copy of your reciept and state on it that payment has been made in full to the auto body shop, in exchange for her copy of the auto bodies reciept?
Then she has her release and you can exchange the reciepts for cash at the shop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">