• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Record, can it be revealed in an investigation to an employer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Radical Jack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I have two prior felony convictions that are six years behind me. I have lived a good and clean life since then. I have no charges (not even a traffic ticket) since that time and have barely though about those trying times now. They were two B&E charges from a time where I was desperate and stupid. I did probation with no flaws, went to therapy as requested, always complied.

Now I am terrified though. I put that part of my life behind me. I am afraid because my place of employment was broken into and $1000 was stolen. There seems to be no prime suspect, and I do not feel like it would make sense to single me out. However I am worried that if I am the only person with a record there, and since they took our information and I am sure our fingerprints (the employees) are all over the cash drawers there, that they will single me out. I know my rights in questioning, but I am afraid of the police telling my employer I have a record and afraid of losing my job, my social life (tied closely into the people I work with). I don't know what to do here.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I have two prior felony convictions that are six years behind me. I have lived a good and clean life since then. I have no charges (not even a traffic ticket) since that time and have barely though about those trying times now. They were two B&E charges from a time where I was desperate and stupid. I did probation with no flaws, went to therapy as requested, always complied.

Now I am terrified though. I put that part of my life behind me. I am afraid because my place of employment was broken into and $1000 was stolen. There seems to be no prime suspect, and I do not feel like it would make sense to single me out. However I am worried that if I am the only person with a record there, and since they took our information and I am sure our fingerprints (the employees) are all over the cash drawers there, that they will single me out. I know my rights in questioning, but I am afraid of the police telling my employer I have a record and afraid of losing my job, my social life (tied closely into the people I work with). I don't know what to do here.
It is not illegal for the police to tell your employer about your prior criminal history.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why would you be afraid? You did disclose the prior record on your application, right?

Radical Jack

I was never asked to disclose my record or any convictions. I do not know if they can just go around telling everyone I work with, or firing me on the grounds of the investigation. To be clear, I haven't even gotten a call from the police, I am just wondering what my situation could amount to here.

Antigone*

I was never asked to disclose my record or any convictions. I do not know if they can just go around telling everyone I work with, or firing me on the grounds of the investigation. To be clear, I haven't even gotten a call from the police, I am just wondering what my situation could amount to here.
Yes they can tell everyone in town about your record, and yes they can fire you. In fact they can fire you for any reason whatsoever. And if the words of my dear friend Patty. They can fire you for wearing green shoes if they so desire.:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">