• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question on failure to maintain distance ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pickster

Iowa

I was in an accident and was looking for an opinion.
I was driving my vehicle south on a highway when the DOT was grading the side of the highway and a DOT dump truck was sweeping the debris from the side. As the sweeper was sweeping the road causing blowing dirt and dust, the 40+ mile per hour wind was causing a black out along the highway. As I was going over the crest of the hill and entering the blowing thick dust, a car was slowed or stopped on the highway waiting to pass the truck that I didn't see until right before I rear ended him. I got a ticket for failure to assure a safe distance. When I go to court, How do you think I should plead? guilty or should I plead not guilty with no defense since I believe it was partially the DOT's fault since they shouldn't have been cleaning the road with high winds causing a blackout and the car I hit didn't have his flashers on. I guess how can I assure distance if I didn't know the car was there? I don't think the accident would of happened if the DOT wasn't cleaning the highway on a very windy day. Do I have a chance at not guilty?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">