• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can police contact parents if person in question is over 18.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rzitex

(law enforcement was in) Connecticut
(I, person in question, am in) Vermont

I recently got into a little skirmish with something in CT in which the police automatically started to profile me. (I sent an email to an old associate principle in reference to a philisophical discussion him and I had last year. I mentioned conflict in the email, however I stated, and I quote: "But
conflict isn't bashing each other over the head with a bone like in
2001: A Space Odyssey" to snow that I am not talking about violence) It was considered a threatening email. During the process, the cops called my mom to get info from her about me. As I am over 18, it is my belief that police don't have the right to contact and involve my parents.

So my questions become: Did the police have the right contact my mom on the subject?

Also, in the "official" police report, it states that the email was "odd" but not threatening. Since this is the official story and there is no mention of profiling me which would mean that my mom was contacted, not to get information. Was the officer legally allowed to do this?

(P.S., this police report is riddled with falsities. I have 5 false statements in the first 2 paragraphs including the year that I graduated.)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

I recently got into a little skirmish with something in CT in which the police automatically started to profile me.
What do you mean that they "started to profile" you?

You do understand that most "profiling" is perfectly lawful, right?

As I am over 18, it is my belief that police don't have the right to contact and involve my parents.
Your belief is wrong. had you been a minor, there would have been limits as to who they could advise - without cause - what you had been charged with or what you are accused of. Since you are an adult, most of what they do with regards to you can be considered public record.

And under most ANY circumstance, the police are allowed to conduct an investigation even if it means enlightening others on the nature of the investigation.

So my questions become: Did the police have the right contact my mom on the subject?
Yes.

If you are charged, consult a criminal defense attorney. If the note was as short and as simple as you state, then something is greatly amiss here. I suspect there is more to this for the police to remotely take an interest in an email referring back to the opening scene of an old movie.

rzitex

There is more to the email, however, the part that was important was the fact that I blatantly stated that I do not believe that conflict is violence. In both the "official" police report and all conversation with me or my mother, no mention of this fact was ever stated.

Thank you for responding to my questions. I do have a lawyer as the event with the police took time out of both my week and my mom's week and the fact that the police report has falsities that can be disproven by computer log records, personal records, eye witnesses, and and first hand conversations between the police and my mother and myself.

Again thank you for your time.

CdwJava

There is more to the email, however, the part that was important was the fact that I blatantly stated that I do not believe that conflict is violence. In both the "official" police report and all conversation with me or my mother, no mention of this fact was ever stated.

Thank you for responding to my questions. I do have a lawyer as the event with the police took time out of both my week and my mom's week and the fact that the police report has falsities that can be disproven by computer log records, personal records, eye witnesses, and and first hand conversations between the police and my mother and myself.

Again thank you for your time.
Then if there are any errors as to time and content, these can be brought out at trial IF it ever goes that far.

If they are considering pursuing this at all, I imagine the content of the message was a wee bit less benign than you seem to make it out to be. Or, the school is just bending over backwards to address any and all possibilities so as to avoid any liability should your alleged threats be acted upon.

The police are expected to look into threats or harassing communications. Even if nothing comes of them, they are expected to look into the matter. Very often they are concluded by sending them off to t a prosecutor who will either file charges with the court, or, will drop the matter due to insufficient evidence of a crime. I suppose only time will tell which direction your case goes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">