• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trust fund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpfuladvice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I moved from California to new york.

i turned 21 today and have been receiving calls from my grandmother telling me my "parents" have money for me. I saw some documents years ago that i think were a trust fund. I havent spoken to my "parents" in two years because my father was physically abusive (i moved from california to new york) towards me and continues to abuse my sister. They didn't bother to contact me on my last birthday, so i'm assuming it is because i turned 21 and that is when i receive it.

i do not wish to speak to these people ever again they made my life a living hell, but the money could really make life a lot easier for me right now.

How would i go about getting the trust fund or receiving information about it?
(i have had my lawyer try to contact them several times before for some other paperwork they were withholding from me, so i would be forced to talk to them.)
What do i do?
Thank you.

curb1

Is your sister in a position to help? Who funded the "trust"? Who is(are) the trustee(s) of the trust? Is grandmother in a position to help?

helpfuladvice

Is your sister in a position to help? Who funded the "trust"? Who is(are) the trustee(s) of the trust? Is grandmother in a position to help?
my sister is trying to move out of there and i wouldn't ask her to put herself in harms way for me.
They aren't telling my grandmother anything about the trust, because they feel that this will be a way to bait me into speaking with them.
the trustees are either my father and step mother or my step grandfather(i think he started the fund).
do you know if there is anyway to find out about the fund besides going through these people? (they refuse to return my lawyers calls)

thank you.

curb1

Your grandmother and step-grandfather seem to be your best bet. They should have a copy of the trust. Get a copy. Since you communicate with them, let them help.

Did your mother support your step-father in the abusive relationship? Can you talk to her?

helpfuladvice

Your grandmother and step-grandfather seem to be your best bet. They should have a copy of the trust. Get a copy. Since you communicate with them, let them help.

Did your mother support your step-father in the abusive relationship? Can you talk to her?
I will try to see if my grandmother (my father's mother) can get any information, but my father ignores her calls sometimes too. She has nothing to do with fund..
I don't think my step-grandfather is going to be willing to tell me anything except, to ask my father and his daughter about it.

My mother lives out here in new york. My father's step wife knew all about the abuse and did nothing but lie to social workers' about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">