• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big misunderstanding..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PoorBoiSandwich

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hey guys, I wasn't sure which area to post this in but this seemed to be the best choice. Last night I was feeling pretty down and out about a investment i made that went bad, so i had texted my friend that i was feeling depressed and asked him to go out for a beer or two. He ended up taking awhile to respond so i ended up just hanging out at another friends house. He later called but I didn't answer because I did not hear my phone, well he thought I was doing something something (suicide), which i was not, so he decided to call the police. The police ended up at my house and asked me to come home, at the same time they contacted my gf and took all her information down. When i got home they asked me what the meaning of my text was, that some people would think that it was a "good bye" kind of thing. I assured them that I was not suicidal in anyway just feeling down about a investment that went bad.. they ended up writing down my information.. warned me to be more careful with the words i use in a text and than they left. My question is do these type of reports / incidents show up in background checks for employment? My gf and I are currently in the process of looking for a new job and were afraid that this might come up in a background check.. since they took our info down.. were both college graduates and any job we get will require a full background check.. When i called the police department today morning the records department stated that the incident was documented in their system but no formal report was filed.. Thanks for any information and sorry for the sloppy write up :(

Isis1

First off, I want to commend your friend for taking action when he felt something might not be right about you. That's a friend to keep for life.

Second, job applications look for convictions. You were not convicted of anything.

PoorBoiSandwich

First off, I want to commend your friend for taking action when he felt something might not be right about you. That's a friend to keep for life.

Second, job applications look for convictions. You were not convicted of anything.
sorry to ask again just to cover my bases, so to be absolutely clear a full background check to be completed by my new possible employer will not include this incident?

ps, i am in no way upset with my friend, my text message was just lost in translation and he did what he thought was best.

CdwJava

On the off chance that an employer checks with the police department for any contacts, they will find a record that they responded to check on your welfare but that you were fine. Typically, employers are looking for convictions and not police contacts that resulted in nothing. In fact, they generally cannot even ask about non-convictions in CA.

There is no such animal as a "full background check" and these things vary by employer, by investigator, and by access to records. There is no way to say what will come out in a background.

Isis1

sorry to ask again just to cover my bases, so to be absolutely clear a full background check to be completed by my new possible employer will not include this incident?

ps, i am in no way upset with my friend, my text message was just lost in translation and he did what he thought was best.
What type of employment are you in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">