• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Separation/Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melisue99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I am in a bad situation and need some advise. I am currently living with a very verbally and emotionally abusive person. We have a child in the household, what are the steps I need to take to get out. :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I am in a bad situation and need some advise. I am currently living with a very verbally and emotionally abusive person. We have a child in the household, what are the steps I need to take to get out. :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Are you married to this person? Is the child your joint child?

We really need a little more information to be able to give you any real help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes we are married, have been for 7-years. This is a joint child.
What proof do you have of the abuse? You can attempt to go to a shelter. You can file for divorce and ask for possession of the marital home (if you can afford it). You can ask for custody of the child.

mistoffolees

What proof do you have of the abuse? You can attempt to go to a shelter. You can file for divorce and ask for possession of the marital home (if you can afford it). You can ask for custody of the child.
Depending on relative incomes, there are other options, as well. For example, if STBX has a much higher income and OP has been the primary caregiver, it might be reasonable to ask for temporary possession of the marital home and custody of the child so that the child is not dislocated and ask for stbx to pay expenses until the house can be sold.

melisue99

There are actual witnesses to the abuse on different occasions. I unfortunately cannot afford our home. Shelter's are not really an option for me as it would be a conflict with my occupation, as I deal with shelter's and the residents there through my job.

LdiJ

There are actual witnesses to the abuse on different occasions. I unfortunately cannot afford our home. Shelter's are not really an option for me as it would be a conflict with my occupation, as I deal with shelter's and the residents there through my job.
You do have the right to move out and take your child with you. However, I definitely would not recommend leaving the area. If you do so, you should immediately file for divorce and temporary custody of the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">