• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frustated from Cali..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Velinissa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a suspended license in California for minor traffic violations. I have since then moved to Raleigh North Carolina and I have tried here to get a license. They told me I would have to take care of my obligations in California first before they would issue me a license. I have since then gone back to California and made my appearance in court to take care of those obligations. Now I have to pay 5000 dollars in fines to get my license back.... I am a single mom and I work and go to school, I live off a part time job at walmart. I have never had any drug or alcohol related charges for driving, and they take my license.... But yet there are people out there that have had DUI's and drug or alcohol related incidents and they are still driving and have licenses. Am I missing something here? I am more then willing to pay off my fine. Is there anyway that I can get the state of California to release me a restricted license so I can drive back and forth to work and school? If anyone can help out with info on how I can make this happen please let me know.

Thank you
Frustrated from Cali...

CourtClerk

I don't get what you're frustrated about. You broke the law and have to suffer the consequences, but you're mad that some people broke the law and don't yet have to suffer the consequences???

Umm... if one of your kids did something wrong and then said "but mom, Jimmy and Johnny didn't get in trouble" what would be your response?

You can have your license back when you meet your obligations. You know, the ones you promised to keep when you applied for a license to drive in the State of California.

Isis1

Oh good heavens. If you had paid those tickets YEARS ago, they wouldn't be that high. The difference between you and the DUI'ers, they paid their fines. You didn't.

However, I will suggest you research this option. Do you know exactly where all the fees are due? Contact each agency. Request to be put on a payment plan to pay off the fees in 18 months or less. Request an abstract. Last I remember, the fee was about $15. They'll release your license. If you miss a payment, you lose your license again. And you may not be able to file a second abstract.

Last edited:

Velinissa

Frustrated from Cali

I didn't ask for negative replies and I didn't get those tickets a long time ago to pay back then.... one ticket was 2500 fine and the other was 1500 OH my bad 4000 dollars in fines.... All I did was explain my situation and ask if anyone knows if there is a way I would be able to get a restricted license to get back and forth to work and school. If you was in my situation you would be doing the same thing, If you have never been in my place then don't tell me about I am a bad person and I break the law. I didn't say I was trying to skip out and not pay and I did not say I was trying to find a way around paying my fines and not deal with the consequences. Never did I say I was mad about anything... there is a difference about being mad and being frustrated...

Isis1

I didn't ask for negative replies and I didn't get those tickets a long time ago to pay back then.... one ticket was 2500 fine and the other was 1500 OH my bad 4000 dollars in fines.... All I did was explain my situation and ask if anyone knows if there is a way I would be able to get a restricted license to get back and forth to work and school. If you was in my situation you would be doing the same thing, If you have never been in my place then don't tell me about I am a bad person and I break the law. I didn't say I was trying to skip out and not pay and I did not say I was trying to find a way around paying my fines and not deal with the consequences. Never did I say I was mad about anything... there is a difference about being mad and being frustrated...
Lmao!! But you DID break the law! You have fines to prove it.

CC, off the top of your head, what's a $2.5k fine for???

cyjeff

I agree.

Most traffic offenses don't carry thousand dollar fines... much less 2500 and 1500.

There is no way you are getting any kind of license whatsoever without having at least a payment plan on the fines in place.

Even then, it is an incredible long shot.

Oh, and if you keep driving on your suspended license, the fines will just go up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">