• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for annulment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlondeRedhead

Hello everyone,

I am a new poster here and I'm looking for some advice how to proceed with my impending split from my husband. I say impending split because I haven't done it yet. I'm almost ready to, I just need some more guidance as to what is the best plan of action for me. Its a very personal situation that involves my husband so I can't really go to any of our close friends or family with it as it may embarrass him.

It is a very VERY long story. I will try and stick to the facts and not bore you with too much filler. My husband and I have been together for almost 6 years, and married for just over 1. This decision has been a long time coming for me I think. I can't pinpoint the exact time I started feeling differently, but I do know I haven't been happy for a long time. It wasn't until I realized how happy I COULD be and what I was missing out on that I started thinking about leaving. I don't think I love him anymore.

The question I have involves getting an annulment rather than a divorce. I've done research online and can't really find a situation that is the same is mine. It is bizarre. I've asked people for advice only to hear them say they don't really know what to tell me. I don't know if this is inappropriate to post here or not but I'm looking for any advice I can get. In our entire 6 year relationship, my husband and I have never once had sex. He has trouble staying or sometimes even GETTING aroused. There is foreplay, but that's where it stops. If you can even call it that, for that matter.

My question is this: I've read conflicting accounts online about the qualifications for annulment. I've read that impotence is grounds for it, but I'm confused about it. How do you prove it? Would he have to be tested? Does my situation sound like it could meet those qualifications? If the marriage was never consumated, can it be voided by an annulment?

I'm so confused. Can anyone out there give me some sort of idea how to proceed? I plan on seeing a therapist and actually talking to a lawyer before I make ANY solid decisions, but I'd say I'm 85% sold on my decision to leave before this goes any further.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from someone soon :)

P.S. I live in the state of Massachusetts if that helps with what's legal and what isn't.

ecmst12

And cheaper. Why wouldn't you just want a divorce? I mean, getting an annullment won't give you the last 6 years of your life back, right?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
P.S. I live in the state of Massachusetts if that helps with what's legal and what isn't.
That's why the question is asked.

Really, though? From the sounds of it you already have someone else. So why play at annulment? Divorce him and be done with it. Move on to the guy you're having sex with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">