• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grantem

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My father died in 2000 and I am wondering if I may claim his unclaimed funds from the state. I called the probate court and they show no record of a will. I am his only biological child but he does have an adopted son that he raised with his wife (deceased in 1995). My father and mother were never married though he did file paperwork claiming me as his child when I was younger.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Ohio.

Last edited:

justalayman

I'm not sure if that was sarcastic or not so I'll presume it isn't and give you more info.

both you and your brother (the adopted son), at least, would equally share your father's assets but to determine if there are actually any assets, some form of administration of his estate would need to be started, an inventory taken, and debts calculated. Then, if there are no other heirs, you and your brother would share equally. To be able to claim the funds, you have to prove you are entitled to them and until you administer the estate, you just don't really know if you are.

Kiawah

And unless the unclaimed funds are a lot of money, it may not be worth the time and expense if that is the only thing you've found in 10 years.

grantem

It wasn't sarcastic, really - just wasn't sure what to think. I do appreciate your taking the time to advise. I will see what administering the estate involves to see if it makes sense. Thanks again.

anteater

In Ohio, an estate of less than $35,000 can be released from administration by the court.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2113

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">