• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some advice for my husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whiterose2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Hi, I have never really had to deal with anything like this before, so I am seeking some advice from anyone who can give it I guess. Here is what happened. My husband has an ex-wife and a son from that marriage. They live in Connecticut. They have been divorced for nearly 7 years and he and I have been together for 5 years with a 3 year old little boy. This past year has been hard on my husband. Trying his hardest to support our family while struggling with a decline in work. He has always paid child support to his ex. Until this past winter when things got particularly tough for us. He fell behind and his ex started to say he could not speak to his son. That went on for a couple months. He applied for modifications to the child support and we have not been able to afford an attorney for the custody situation because legal aid said they do not to family affairs. Well, that was not the worst of it. He reached an emotional breaking point the final time he spoke to his ex-wife asking to speak to his son. She refused to let him speak to him and told him she wanted to keep him around just enough so that he would still have to pay but out of their child's life. She refers to him as a monthly lottery ticket on many occasions as well. He said to her through a text message "I would like to come to your house and knock you off the high horse you think you are on". About a month later, after she changed her phone number and he had no means of getting in touch with his 8 year old son, he received a restraining order. It was decided he would not be allowed to speak, see or have any contact with them for six month. Another month later, he has just found out she is pressing charges on him. The state of Connecticut has issued a warrant for his arrest! We live in New York. Myself and my 3 year old son depend on my husband, he is our main supporter. She has been destroying our family and enjoying it. What should our next step be? Any advice would be appreciated!

cyjeff

YOU need to butt out. Yeah, yeah... I know... you love him and his evil ex is ruining your family.

But you are a legal stranger to this situation.

He threatened her via text message. That is illegal. He stopped paying child support. That was court ordered.

She can say whatever she wants about the money. Doesn't change his obligation to pay.

Now, can your husband take her back to court for denying his visitation? if the court ordered it, yes.

Can't threaten her, though... and I have a feeling it was far more than a single text.

whiterose2

Believe me, I don't enjoy getting involved in this. I am merely seeking advice for my husband. If he chooses to listen to it, thats his choice. It was only one text, which is why we were shocked about the charges. Sure, he should not have said it and he realizes that. He is usually a very well preserved, non-confrontational man. The charges are for the threat, he is working on making payments to his back child support. His ex-wife is vindictive and believe me, she is loving this.

Isis1

Believe me, I don't enjoy getting involved in this. I am merely seeking advice for my husband. If he chooses to listen to it, thats his choice. It was only one text, which is why we were shocked about the charges. Sure, he should not have said it and he realizes that. He is usually a very well preserved, non-confrontational man. The charges are for the threat, he is working on making payments to his back child support. His ex-wife is vindictive and believe me, she is loving this.
Well, now he can enjoy his victory in jail. He handed this to her. He played right into it. That's his bad.

Husband should get himself a criminal attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">