• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hforrest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Should I pay off joint credit cards with me as primary acct holder with joint money because he gets half of the cash in my checking acct.. Also do I get half of credit card debt in his name with me as authorized user and joint acct.?

Or would it be in my best interest to split the debt 50/50 around $5500 each and split my cash 2250 each. If I pay off mine with my $4500, I don't give him the 2250 but will I get half of his 5500?

UghWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

You are each responsible for 1/2 of marital debt and entitled to 1/2 of marital assets.

If the cash and the credit cards are both marital, I'd be inclined to pay down any joing credit cards (unless you or stbx need the money for living expenses). My thinking is that the higher the credit card balance, the greater the risk that someone will refuse to pay. Even if it is stbx who is supposed to pay, YOUR credit rating will be hurt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">