• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Accounts, what am I entitled to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Disney8704

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

My husband is seeking divorce. He is currently the only one bringing in income. He is active duty air force, we are in Alaska. We have a joint checking and savings account. However I am the primary account holder. Also, he moved out a week ago and is living with a co-worker here on base housing. And yesterday he left to go visit a family member for the month out of state. I was wondering what amount of money am I legally entitled to? I keep hearing 2 different sides. I hear from my family and friends and read online 50% however, he is telling me that in the military he is only legally entitled to give me the difference between married and single BAH. However, in the military when it comes to divorces, they dont deal with divorces, the state does. He hasnt filed for divorce yet, however he almost wiped the checking account clean yesterday by transfering large sums of money 3 times to his own seperate checking account and only left me with $150 which is way less then the BAH amount AND 50% of what WAS in the checking account. I went ahead and opened my own checking account and transfered the remaining $150 to that checking account from the joint account before he wiped it completely clean. However, I feel I should legally be entitled to 1/2 of what was in there before he transfered the money. When he gets paid next time, am I legally allowed to withdraw 1/2 of what is in the joint checking? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
yes, you are (basically) entitled to half of the money in the account.
Keep track of what he moves to his own account and include it in your accounting figures during the divorce...

Isis1

How long ago did he do this? You will need to file for divorce immediately and request the marital funds be returned to the marital account.

SimplyDad

Are you living in base housing?

If you are living in base housing the military will not require him to give you any additional money. If you aren't then he needs to help support you for as long as he claims you as a dependent. Also, if you decide to leave Alaska the Air Force will send you and your things back to your home of record because you're technically "overseas". Just FYI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">