• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sugargirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Illinois

I have been married for 10 years and have 2 small children. My husband was raised Catholic, but we haven't gone to church on Sundays. The only time we ever went to church was for a wedding or baptisim.

I was raised Christian, but haven't practiced my faith in years. I started to read the bible and my husband flipped out and was mad that I read the bible. I think Catholics aren't allowed to read it, I'm not sure. My husband said he wants a divorce because he doesn't want to be married to a bible reading thumper. He keeps telling the kids there is no Christmas or easter.

I know he made an appointment to see a lawyer and went to see one today. I don't know what the lawyer told him, but he did have papers to fill out regarding assets from the lawyer, so I know he did go.

Does he have grounds to obtain a divorce because I read the bible? Can he actually obtain one with that being the only reason? To me it sounds silly & if I was a lawyer I would have a good laugh, but I guess maybe I'm wrong here.

Perky

Illinois

I have been married for 10 years and have 2 small children. My husband was raised Catholic, but we haven't gone to church on Sundays. The only time we ever went to church was for a wedding or baptisim.

I was raised Christian, but haven't practiced my faith in years. I started to read the bible and my husband flipped out and was mad that I read the bible. I think Catholics aren't allowed to read it, I'm not sure. My husband said he wants a divorce because he doesn't want to be married to a bible reading thumper. He keeps telling the kids there is no Christmas or easter.

I know he made an appointment to see a lawyer and went to see one today. I don't know what the lawyer told him, but he did have papers to fill out regarding assets from the lawyer, so I know he did go.

Does he have grounds to obtain a divorce because I read the bible? Can he actually obtain one with that being the only reason? To me it sounds silly & if I was a lawyer I would have a good laugh, but I guess maybe I'm wrong here.

He can file on the grounds of irreconcilable differences.

BTW, Catholics are allowed to read the Bible.

LdiJ

Illinois

He can get a divorce for no good reason at all if he really wants one.

Catholics absolutely DO read the bible. They also seriously celebrate Christmas and Easter, so I don't know where he was coming from with all of that.

mistoffolees

He can get a divorce for no good reason at all if he really wants one.

Catholics absolutely DO read the bible. They also seriously celebrate Christmas and Easter, so I don't know where he was coming from with all of that.
Dad sounds a little loony.

When they get to the stage of deciding who gets custody, I'd suggest asking for a GAL or custody evaluator. They're certainly not going to care if Mom simply picks up a bible to read it, but they WILL care if Dad goes whacko making an issue of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">